Diet may change your PSA levels

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Diet and life style changes reduced my psa

My PSA was 5.1 in 2004. In 2007 psa was 8.7 and now have had three biopsies. All negative.

The Urologist puts me on avodart. Fast forward to 2010 PSA is 10.8 and still on adovart which appears to be NOT working. Urologist says avodart does not work on all men. I get an MRI on the prostate. The radiologist says he has never seen a larger prostate. My wife takes out cancer insurance. MRI is negative again. I begin to research health of the prostate. I change my diet completely. NO soft drinks, milk, cheese, junk foods, red meat, white flour, (white bread, pancakes, cookies, cakes) NO chocolate etc. 

Below are the positive things I have done to change my PSA

Green tea/white tea(Decaf) show much promise in small studies. High in antioxidants. I begin to drink green tea about four to five cups per day. Tea bags only, not bottled green tea. I take green tea bags to restaurants. I ask if the restaurant carries green tea, if not I ask for hot water and make my own. I begin to have blueberries every day, high in antioxidants. 

Shelled and unsalted Pumpkin seeds and shelled sunflowers seeds every day for a snack. Always on the kitchen counter to grab a handful. Pumpkin seeds are full of Magnesium, zinc and vitamin E. Which the prostate needs to be healthy. 

Also more antioxidants. Almond milk(unsweeten) for breakfast, wheat bread for toast.

Apples three days a week. Spinach only for salads(oil and vinegar for dressing), several times a week. Lettuce is all water and is useless. Vitamin D 2000 I/U daily to help prevent cancer.

Studies have shown that some people with cancer have low vitamin D.

In 2011, PSA is 5.7. I am on cloud nine. Urologist says Adovart is working.

I questioned him on that statement and he does not want to hear my story.

I no longer go to him. I have changed urologist. 

Fast Forward again to 2014 and PSA is 5.88.

I begin to drink more white tea decaf(hard to find and rare) than green tea.

I begin to make fruit smoothies every day in the blender made up of the following: spinach, blueberries, strawberries, bananas, almond milk and plain non fat yogurt and ice cubes. A very good morning drink for my wife and I.

Walk every day at least 5000 steps and workout.

In 2015 PSA is 4.9. I scream in the doctor's office. He says careful, careful.

I must keep up the good diet. It worked for me.

Best of Luck and God Bless.

Patrick

5 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi patrick you don't mention your gleeson score from your biopsies, but you seem to have everything under control. I say with the correct vitamins and minerals it is possible to beat any kind of cancer.  Good luck on your journey.

Ray

• Posted

Hi Ray.

Sorry Ray, I have reviewed my results and find no mention of the gleeson score.

Thanks for the reply.

Patrick

• Posted

Very interesting post, Patrick. Certainly shows that there are many paths to take and lots of ways to help yourself.

Keep up the good diet. And the exercise.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Reflex.

Thanks for the reply, just offering my two cents worth on prostate health.

Take care

Patrick

• Posted

Hello Patrick,

Congratulations for getting ( what I take it is ) your BPH under control !

There are a few questions however the answers to which,   would give an even clearer picture of your aetiology from onset of symptoms and/or awareness until now and I hope you will not mind answering them ? :

1) What age are you ?

2) Do you mean you had 3 sets of 12-14 needle biopsies ?  And if so what was the chronology of those ?

3) Also if the first set showed no PCa,  then why did you have the other two sets ?  

4) Who's idea was that and what were the indicators to perform them ?

5)  Did you have any side effects from your biopsies ?

6) What symptoms did you have and which led you to seek Medical advice,  or was your (? Elevated )  PSA  discovered at a routine health check?

7) Of the many dietary amendments you have employed,  do you have any clear idea as to which of them has been the most efficacious ?

8). Do you have any idea as to the levels of Magnesium and other antioxidants you are ingesting ?

9) Do these of themselves,  have any side-effects. (apart from cost ).

10) And finally ! ...  What weight/height were you at onset and what weight are you now ?

If you are willing to respond Patrick,  my sincere thanks to you and I hope you will not

find the request too onerous.

May you continue to remain healthy and robust.

Thanks for the post.

Regards

Dudley

• Posted

Hi Dudley.

1. I am currently 66 yrs old.

2. I had 12 , then had two 20 needle biopies. My initial psa was 3.1. 3. Then in 2004 it went to 5.1, my first biopsy.

4. My primary physican suggestion I begin to have regular check ups with urologist.

5. Major side effects from all three biopsies, could not urinate from    swollen prostate. Had to be cat.

6. Routine annual checkups always had elevated PSA.

7. My suugestions would be green/white tea, pumpkin seeds and blueberries all very high in antioxidants which were very helpful to get my prostate under control.

8. No idea

9. No side effects from all these great drinks/foods.

10. Initially i was around 91 kg, now I am 84 kg all while I was 1.85 m.

Hope this helps.

Best of Luck.

Patrick

• Posted

Forgot to mention Tomato juice as well.

I begin to drink Tomato juice every day.(Tomatoes are a popular food as well as a superior source of lycopene, a phytonutrient, or more specifically a carotenoid, one of a group of yellow, orange, and red pigments found in plants. Lycopene is a potent antioxidant that has proven itself in study after study to have properties that enhance prostate health). By drinking tomato juice, I stopped drinking Orange juice, which does NOT have major impact on the prostate.

• Posted

Hi Patrick,

Thankyou very much for that dietary information of which,  I am confident many hereon will benefit.

I forgot to ask you Patrick which Country you are in ?  And if you will indulge me,  do so now.  The reason being that you appear to have had two additional biopsies within the period from 2007 until now despite the first set revealing,  a Gleason score of Nil.   And without further supportive background information indicating their necessity,  the spectre of over-servicing begins to loom.

I can understand the first set being undertaken although your PSA was pretty low ;  but not the two subsequent sets.  It seems that your Urologist may have been pretty well convinced by other indicators that you had PCa;  but what were they?  Did you have DRE's and did they appear abnormal?

Finally and whilst wanting to appear not cynical,  did you / do you have Private Health Cover ?

Thankyou again for being so open about your experiences and for the first-hand testimony regarding the efficacy of dietary chages,

Regards,

Dudley

• Posted

Hi. My former urogolist was very aggressive in that rise of one point or more he wanted a biopsy. No other signs. Yes I have private health insurance. Best of luck
  • Posted

Hello pan way,

congratulations on on the hard work I read your comments with interest. My diet slipped significantly recently. Lots of chocolate the last year, cheeses just lazy type stuff. Your comment inspired me to get back on the wagon. My PSA was 2.7 four years ago. Now it's between 4.2 and 4.7 and my doctor is freaking out. Wants me to go to a urologist. Naturally I'm worried but continue to live properly. Just turned 71. Take care 

• Posted

hello panway. My husband is 47 years old and has a PSA of 6.2. In 2013 it was 2.5, 2014 3.1, 2015 3.5, 2016 4.43, January 2017 one lab had him at 5.87 and the other at 5.7. Then in April 2017 it was down to 5.0, after he stopped eating dark chocolate because of the caffeine. The urologist gave him 2 rounds of antibiotics, which the latter for 21 days was levaquin and he was afraid of taking it...so he did not. on July 12, 2017 it went up, but he loves to grill and eats a lot of fatty meat . He already told me he would not agree to a biopsy. I try to send fruits to work with him but he brings them back. Do you think we should try your regimen. Thank you in advance, I am so worried.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.