Diet post surgery and update

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 5 days post surgery and so far I have been dealing with what I think is typical recovery..Soreness in the abdomen, tiredness, gas pains. I feel pretty good when sitting comfortable, but I make myself get up and walk here and there so I dont get to comfy..I take one Trama dol in the morning then tylenol, thej aleve, the tylenol before bed and I'm good to the next day. Hoping to stop the one Tramadol in next couple days..My appetite has been pretty normal..eat 3 small meals and 2 snacks..all bland food. My urine has smelled kind of sweet..I told my Dr. and they said it may just be from recovery and diet..They will check into next week if its still happeneing. I'm doing ok though, I think day 3 and 4 were hardest just with tiredness and incison pain..I have had a couple watery movements daily, been passing gas, tummy isnt too hard, havent seen the need yet for a stool softener...For others who had surgery, any food, diet tips for post op?I'm eating scrambled eggs, dry toast, chix soup, yogurt, icees, protein drinks..Thanks everyone for listeningsmile. I'm pretty bored too..lol..helps to talk to people in similar boat!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Also have other used abdominal binders? My Dad had one from a previous surgery that was larger than what the hospital gave me..worked a lot better..
  • Posted

Stick with a soft diet as long as you can, I did 6 weeks, because your insides need to heal and it takes longer. You don't want to be trying to pop out hard stuff that can tear out what the doctor just repaired. I have had a binder on since day 1. By the time I left the hospital I looked 9 months pregnant. I was in an XXL and have gone down to a medium. They really do help, but don't get dependent on it. You don't want your healthy muscles to get lax, but don't overdo it with thinking a simple task is easy because it's not. You can find the binders in the adult medical care aisle at most pharmacy.

• Posted

Hi Jenny

Stick with soft diet and gradually add things in.  Eat smaller meals. I am 3 monthsout and still can’t drink carbonated drinks. Drink a lot of water. I would walk 3-4 x a day  not far because of diarrhea. After 2 weeks I-added a probiotic and multivitamin. I had lost 35 lbs prior to surgery and lost a lot of hair so that’s why I started the vitamin.

Binders are great when you are up and walking. But take it off at night. It can trap gas if u aren’t active.

Your dr will tell u that you can eat whatever but please go slow!

Day 3 was when the nerve block wore off! So normal 

Kate

• Posted

Jenny was this bowel Resection surgery? You seem to be doing great. Did you have diarrhoea after? Bad gas pains etc. I'm having reversal in 2 weeks after bowel resection and Iliostomy so wondering how I will go? 

• Posted

Hi there, yes I had my sigmoid removed, 10 inches. For days 2 to 5 after surgery yes I had watery stool for sure. Not to be gross, but bloody also,which is normal from the procedure. Tomorrow will be one week and yesterday my stool started to be more formed, like one would see on a soft food diet. I'm doing pretty good. Down to very little pain meds, less swelling, still tired and a bit slow..I am heading in this week to get a couple things checked out, sweet smelling urine and a slight cough, I think maybe post nasal drip, just want to make sure lungs are good. Cough ing is so very painful.but other than that I am moving around pretty well. It's good to keep active, but not overdo it..I know my limits so resting also when needed..I've been a bit down here and there, that can happen to, post surgery blues..This is definitely not how I wanted to spend my summer, but I needed to get it done regardless. It's been haunting me for too many years, so here I amsmile

• Posted

What's strange is that I only had bad gas day 3 after my surgery, but did only have 4" removed. Nothing like most people I've been reading about. I was actually worried that I didn't have the bad gas so I asked my doctor. Apparently I'm eating healthier, 10 minutes after I eat I walk. Makes a big difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.