Diet, sugar and Fibro

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, have been wrestling with my diet lately. I keep a pain/diet diary to try and keep tack of dietary triggers that may exasperate symptoms and this has thrown up some questions especially regarding sugars. 

I recently had my annual blood tests and found that my sugar levels are fine, which seems to indicate I am not pre-diabetic. Yet I find when I have a small amount of something sweet, like a piece of flour free orange cake, I am in pain the next day. Fresh fruit doesn't seem to trigger anything, which is why I love fresh fruit and vegetables.

I wondered what others experiences are of sugars and whether they are effected by them, and is there a safer option to refined sugar and even honey, which I find problematic. I have cookbooks that list other natural alternatives but I am sceptical, are they any less reactive?

Do hope you are all enjoying your weekends.

Meg

🌺

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Meg.  I too find that sugars, particularly refined, have the effect of increasing my pain.  Sugars in alcohol do it too - really miffed that wine makes me hurt now. Perversely since the fibro got its grip on me, I find I crave sugary foods - never ever had a sweet too before and now I have!  I've used Agave syrup for years, much less adverse affect on me than sugar.  Also coconut sugar - absolutely delicious and so much healthier than refined sugars.
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for your replies. First thing that struck me was, we are all such sensitive beings, very chemically sensitive. I was always reactive to dairy, dust mites and msg, the rest has only developed in the last few years. One 'helpful' friend suggested that falling hormones may be a contributing factor, as the hormones somehow help the pain receptors in the brain to work as they should and not provide scrambled messages??? Don't know what do you think.

I can  sympathise about cutting out wine, I used to enjoy a nice glass of crisp white wine, in social settings. As for Chocolate I am like Maggers I don't really miss it.

After joining this forum I have cut out bread also, but it certainly is a struggle to find a variety of foods to eat, in fact went out at the weekend and brought a couple of wholefood recipe books, which mention some of the sweeteners you mention, so will try them, now I have you experiences to back them up.

My husband jokes sometimes and says I should be a bubble girl, at least a bubble would keep out nasty work colleagues and all these harmful  chemicals that seem to hurt us. 

I think probiotics are truely wonderful, since I have been taking them long term, no more sore tummies etc. Organic food is also a good idea, I sometimes wonder if some our problems stem from the bombardment of chemicals we receive living in this modern age, by eating organic it has to lower the chemical load. The trouble is organic is not always available.

You ladies are truely an inspiration and I will give all your suggestions a go.

Hugs to all

Meg

🌺

• Posted

Hi meg Ive stopped having sugar in tea coffee, ive also stopped eating cakes sweets. Im trying to eat as healthy as possible also I read that fizzy drinks arnt good for us theyve got something in them sorry cant remember the name but it can cause us pain. Ive cut out fizzy drinks I have noticed a differance. wish I could remember the name it said bad fibro fog today  gentle hugs take care 
    • Posted

Hi Kaz, that is wonderful that you have noticed a difference. I have cut out all that stuff, including alcohol, it certainly helps the waistline. I know that processed sugars set me off. I rarely make sweet things but trying alternative sweeteners like Stevia, brown rice malt syrup and coconut sugar in my occasional cooking ventures, the jury is still out on those. My staple diet is fresh fruit and vegetables, and lean protein.

Gentle hugs to you to.

Meg

🌸

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.