Dietary changes for Sjorgrens.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anybody tried dietary changes for autoimmune (in our case Sjorgrens). I just read an interesting book called The Autoimmune Fix which talked about foods that can cause inflammation notability Gluten, dairy and sugar. I'm trying it as I'm getting desperate with weak legs and neuropathy. Afraid of falling etc. 

Would love to hear from anyone who has tried dietary changes. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Since April 28th I've changed my diet entirely. The Paleo diet is wonderful. Start with the AIP PALEO plan which is the Autoimmune Protocol diet, eliminating from the Paleo food list foods that may react with your autoimmune disease. I have Sjogren's Syndrome and I can't believe the difference it's made in my overall symptoms, especially the fatigue!

• Posted

Thanks for the info. I'll look into that. I'll do anything for more energy. 

• Posted

It's a restrictive diet but I feel so much better I've not gone off the food plan since I started almost 5 months ago. Look up aip success stories. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Beverly,

When I first discovered there was a possibility of healing myself through dietary changes I  was so excited  because I did not want to take medication.   I found a book that discussed a very similar diet plan to the paleo autoimmune protocol .   In the book I also read about the importance of healing your stomach lining and I was on board 100% .  I stayed on this diet for about three or four months 100% and it was amazing to see the changes in my symptoms  and I felt great  .   It's been a few years now, and I do try to eat healthy most of the time,  however I don't always succeed at this and sometimes I see a resurgence of my symptoms.   Although my symptoms are not too severe, I believe that they fluctuate with my diet and and my life style ( stress, sleep,  environmental toxins, etc).   I'm a huge believer in a healthy diet and in avoiding the big five, sugar, dairy, gluten, corn, and soy.   I've made a lot of changes at her home so it's not quite so drastic of a change anymore for me to eat healthy. Good luck on your road to healing.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I've been trying to stay away from gluten,  dairy and sugar. Occasionally I end up eating something I shouldn't but for the most part I eat a whole food diet. I didn't realize that corn should be on my list as well as soy. If I do have tofu I make sure it organic tofu. But will stay away from any soy in the future as well as corn. I know corn is not the corn of our childhood. 

Again thank you. 😊

• Posted

Hi Beverly,

I think the most important thing you can do is to listen to your body.  I know that changing my diet has been great for me in helping me to eliminate many of my symptoms -- I no longer have joint pain, I have more energy, acid reflux is rare, canker sores completely gone, etc.  Although it's worked for me, I can't be sure that the exact diet would work for everyone, but I'm pretty sure that eating a healthy diet would help anyone.  One very exciting thing is that we are now just beginning to see research being done using diets (as in altering the types of food we intake).  I just saw a recent actual scientific study that looked at the Autoimmune protocol diet for inflammatory bowel disease and the results look promising.  So exciting!  I think there will be a day when very few people will have to deal with this annoying disease, but of course that's still in the future somewhere.  In the mean time, we just try to help each other figure out what to do.  It was this very site that helped me discover the possibility of changing my diet, which is why I keep coming back.  It was like a miracle for me, so when I find people who are open to dietary changes or have no idea that they can make dietary changes that will help them, I want to give them the same support that I received smile  But yes, corn and soy have been listed as 2 of the top 5 food groups that commonly cause problems for people.  

• Posted

The option of eating worms on the Paleo diet put me off COMPLETELY!!! 😳

• Posted

My 2 bobs worth Beverly..I've been on this regime for years it's amazing..

Hiya, here is a bit about Paleo which is basically high fat low carbs..and cutting out a whole lot of stuff too, it's very easy to to do, definitely no processed food, this lady is a Dr,a scientist, a nutritionist and a autoimmune sufferer, she also has an AIP-Autoimmune Protocol  eating regime too, it's really worth a look, I can't say too much on this site as it might go to be moderated,just google it, it's really just the basics, you will find much googling, I have to say I have Coconut everything, oil, vinegar,sauce, milk, cream, just plain coconut it great for crumbling stuf, saturated fat is fine..just pop in to your local health food shop to see all the goodies they have..not cheap, but you don't need to use much plus once you cut out all that processed food your saving anyway, like rice, I use Cauliflower, I make it into a rice in the food processor raw..then I microwave it, it makes awesome fried rice too, if you've ever had thick fried slices of cauliflower it's heavenly, you will know what I mean, I also do dairy, -(some cant) cheese..milk..cream etc..I could go on forever but it's best for you to google and keep what you like, Google: The Paleo Mom, I subscribe to Facebook, many recipes on there too and she is extremely thorough, there are many websites but I stick to her, I have saved so very many recipes on my iPad, if I fancy something I'll see how and what do do the Paleo way, there's soo many substitutes, I've found lots on Pinterest  too. I'm a Sorgrens, Fibromyalgia,  asthmatic and Arthritis sufferer-all autoimmune. I've been on this regime for years now, even loose weight if your overweight, a bonus.Hope you go well, be blessed and have  a nice day💐😍

AIP stand for Autoimmune  Protocol...The Autoimmune Protocol is a specialized version of the Paleo Lifestyle with an even greater focus on nutrient density and even stricter guidelines for which foods should be eliminated. it's really good for those who are very sensitive, fortunately I don't have to..

As I said I have her on Facebook, she is not only a Dr, Nutritionist, Scientist but she is a sufferer too, so she really understands our condition, I get lots of recipes of many sites I just google Paleo recipes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.