Dietary modifications help symptoms?

Posted , 6 users are following.

There is a lot of information about avoiding certain foods such as dairy or sugar which theoretically decreases inflammation and symptoms of FM

Anyone have first hand experience with dietary changes that have improved their well being?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

big difference! especially sugar and lots of carbs like bread pasta coockies... really helps with mood which,for me, really effects pain cause its connected. so i eat a lot of good fats and carbs with lots of fiber so theres not a spike in sugar levels. dairy makes my skin ugly so i dont eat it a lot. i try to have lots of greens cause it helps cleanse the body and liver so i drink green smoothies with green powders. its not 100% symptoms free but since ive been watching my food i feel a lot better especially with mood swings and tiredness. you should give it a try 😃

• Posted

yes , not specifically avoiding dairy or gluten which i both tried but have had success with eating wholesome foods, no white carbs, low sweet, chocolate etc, no junk food.

also pilates helps, but only if its regular. trying to lift weights left me fluey and in pain for days but perhaps that was my approach and throwing myself in without adequate rest.

the best combo for me has honestly been when ive been trying to get in shape and have eaten fairly "clean" and done pilates most days. and i have tried so many different meds, so many vitamin combos along with physio and various other treatments.

and just so you know my default is eat whatever i want and im not a natural exerciser so it is a choice and a commitment thing. i often slip for months at a time, start feeling worse again and then have to start back at square 1 trying to motivate myself whilst in pain and not in the right mindset to be active and eat well but once i start again after a couple of weeks i feel less pain. still have bad days but much less.

• Posted

Food choice makes a big change to my gut health, but I have not noticed any change to my PMR/ Fibro.

I was told many years ago, that you have to stick to any dietary changes for at least 3 years before you will see any benefit. I am my own worst enemy. I constantly fall off the wagon.

I cut out most dairy 22 years ago. I avoid wheat products. I do feel better for it, if I stay off wheat long term.

My gut health has improved 3 times now , when holidaying in Asian countries. As soon as I return to a western diet it deteriorates again even without dairy and gluten.

I went to India with a friend who also had gut problems. We were there for 4 weeks. I did a vegetarian diet and friend ate anything and everything. I did eat breads, but don't know what they were made of. We had 4 good weeks without any gut/digestive problems. Both of us deteriorated again about 2 weeks after we returned home. I am not sure what this tells us. My aches and pains did feel much better while I was away but then I was not doing any physical work to aggrevate any joints/muscles etc.

What is that Brit movie I do love ? Maybe we should all retire to India ! I have fantasised about it. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.