Diets to help with RA inflammation?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I’ve been dealing with rheumatoid arthritis since I was  15,now for the last four years my doctor has had me on methotrexate, minocycline and celecoxib for awhile now which seems to help with most of the inflammation. I wanted to know if anyone had any diets that they follow that help reduce pain and swelling and what foods are best to avoid. If you could share them with me. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there diet is in my eyes key it's helped me to recovery with nothing else here are my tips...no coffee or wheat, cut gluten too. Limit dairy especially fat milk and ice cream, don't drink pop or any diet drinks, watch citrus fruits and tomatoes.... I eat fresh meat 3 x week and all fish... all fats are ok with me but sweets and chocolate and cakes aren't good! Some people find nightshade veg problematic.... I don't though. I'm bad after wine and beer but could drink loads of gin, vodka and Malibu and have no problems! Drink plenty of water only thing I take is calcium and vit d, magnesium too and vit c in winter. Good luck hope it helps somewhat x

• Posted

Ariene

I have tried ideas over the years and the things that will trigger a flareup for me are citrus and raw tomatoes-

cooked are fine- and to a lesser extent strawberries so I think it's trial and error. Potatoes are fine as long as not too many. No foods bring down the swelling or affect the pain and stiffness unfortunately for me but everyone is different and you may be lucky and find something that helps you. Good luck and keep well.

• Posted

Ariene, I have found the worst thing for my RA is high fructose corn syrup. It is in many foods and drinks. I cut it out completely, along with tomato based products. One 24 ounce beer a week and no other alcohol. I am on one methotrexate injection a week. Vitamin d 5000 units and folic acid daily. 
  • Posted

Avoid fried food. I'm taking Tumeric and fish oil. If I hv flares I increase my fish oil dosage. I'm taking vit D3 too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.