Difference between chiari symptoms and migraine

Posted , 6 users are following.

This time last year I was suffering with weakness in my left leg and tingling/numbness in my foot and had progressive weakness in my left arm.  I had an MRI of my back and head which showed a 4mm protrusion from my brain as well as prolapsed discs at L4/5 and L5/S1, T8 and T6 and C4 and 5.  I was referred to a neurologist for review.  At the time of my visit to the neurologist i was suffering from headaches across the back of my head which worsened when bending but not on coughing.  I also had pressure behind my eyes which made me very tired.  The neurologist diagnosed migraines and said that the protrusion was not a chiari.

I am currently being investigated to see if the thoracic discs are causing the weakness in my legs however i have been told that they will not be causing the weakness in my arms (both arms now affected along with my right leg).  My symptoms now are a permanent pressure on the back of my head which when bad extends down my neck and across my shoulders.  Pressure in my ears and behind my eyes and tinnitus.  When bad it feels a little like a balloon expanding.  I also have weakness in all limbs and tingling in my left foot and left hand and numbness in my foot.  It doesn't worsen on coughing but does on bending over or doing an activity like hoovering.

My question is does this sound like chiari or could the headaches be due to tension/pain or migraines.  I feel like i am going insane!  If anyone can explain the difference between a chiari headache and migraine i would be very grateful.

Thanks for reading all this!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, 

It sounds like you have so many things going on from so many different areas.  The headaches could definitely be Chiari.  Do you feel pressure.  The neck problem could cause problems withs your arms.  Of course, the lower disc problems can cause leg and walking problems.  You might look up a nerve chart showing which nerves are affected by each disc.  Chiari can affect your entire body with all kinds of pain and weird symptoms.  So much, if you complain too much they say u need a shrink.  Don’t believe that one.  Wish you the best.  

• Posted

Hi there,

Its strange though, what you have put down its was I used to suffer from all the limbs..anything you wrote was exactly what I had plus fainted in coughing and sneezing and unable to bend, laugh, doing no 2..(its agony) funny enough neurologist always seems to say oh..its must be migraine nothing to do with chiari..I think they just do not know what is chiari malformation is all about...you just have to be assertive to be referred to neurosurgeon..I was lucky my neurologist and neurosurgeon were really fantastic so I had such an excellent result for my decompression..over went by ..I still keep in touch with them to update them that I am still enjoying my Quality Of Life..please be firm with them..listen to your body..get some print out from this website of how others feel show it to them..that might help you to get further and serious treatment

• Posted

I saw  several neurologists before I found an excellent one that knew allabout neurology. And I say a Nuero Surgeon. So that wouldbe your next direction I'm guessing. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.