Difference between drugs

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with a clot in left calf last Friday, I had phlebitis that had crept up my thigh this was reason for scan. I was put on Rivaroxaban only took 3 and had the most awful dizziness, nearly passing out and nausea and stomach pains ended up calling 111 who sent ambulance really felt like something awful was about to happen. Went back to Doctor yesterday morning and now on apixaban only taken yesterdays and todays still feeling a bit dizzy but not sick. Has anyone else experienced really bad side effects from either drug? Must admit it is worrying me a bit but then all even heparin and warfarin which is only other alternative now seems to have them.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi. yes i did with both.ive been on warfarin for the last 12mnths with no side effects only bug bear is having to keep having inr checked .but worth it not to feel so ill.also i had bad thoughts as though i couldnt cope anymore. pleasebe careful. go back to docs if ur not happy..hope this helps. 
    • Posted

thanks yes it does help. Doctor just called me Ive said I will try this one for day or two and if still feel like this he will change me to heparin and warfarin, rather the INR checks than feeling like this all the time. never take drugs at all my body isn't used to them think its rebelling smile

• Posted

did you then have to have the heparin first before the warfarin even if you'd been on the others for a while?

• Posted

hi no i was on heparin before i started on apaxiban.but because i had been on apax doc said i didnt need it so went straight on warfarin. then had inr tests every week until it was stable. only downside to it is if you have to take other meds while on it. means more inr tests weekly.also i have been put on vitamin d tabs for three months.just had blod test today for that get results on 15th. when i see doc.at present im having trouble getting antibiotics that suit me.also while on apax and rivarox i developed a terrible itching. which i have to take antihystamines for.but fingers crossed its getting better now.hardly get it much.

• Posted

ok thats interesting, how long did you take the apaxiban before changing? I"m only on 2 nd day but really not happy smile

• Posted

Hi

Sounds like you are having a bad time been on rivaoxaban for 6 months with no probs so think I have been lucky due to come off them as it was only for that timescale due to having PE after hip surgery

Hope you get sorted soon

Julie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.