Difference between fixed airway obstruction and COPD

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello my husband was admitted to hospital twice in 2015 within a matter of days and was treated as having COPD being aged 69 and an ex smoker.  He was eventually diagnosed the following year after tests as having essentially asthma with fixed airway obstruction.  Is this the same as COPD if not what the difference and prognosis.  He was told that he did not need pulmonary rehabilitation but could be considered in the future.  Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Libralady13.I have got Asthma and COPD but I don't have any different treatments.One preventer inhaler does for both twice a day.And the blue inhaler for when I get out of breath.

I have just had a awful chesty cough that was with me for almost 4 months.I did have treatment for that.

Good luck someone else will know more when they come along.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  My husband has symbicort 2 puffs twice and day spiriva one capsule (2 puffs) once a day and salbutamol 4 times a day.  We thought using the salbutamol 4 times after the initial problems did not seem right but yes it was written down on dishcharge letter.  I always thoguht that a blue inhaler was used only when needed and I also have asthma and take symbicort twice a day and salbutamol when needed which is really only when I have a cold.  I know what you mean about chesty coughs.  Colds and coughs seem to last ages for me and I dread getting them.
    • Posted

I've been told to use the blue albuterol inhaler 4 x day several times.

• Posted

Hi Libralady.  I too have asthma or COPD (Idon't know the difference) and if I get a cold it lasts ages, usually brought into the house by my beloved husband, caught whilst shopping.  I have a standby supply of antibiotics and steroids for this so it might be a good idea to ask your Dr. for some.  Added to this, I avoid people like the plague!!  Hope this helps a bit and best wishes. xx

• Posted

Hello thanks for yur reply.  My husband does have an emergency pack of anitbiotics and steroids but so far have not had to use them.  When he was in hospital before being diagnosed he did havve steroids on both occasions but he never needed anitibiotics.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.