Difference between ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia?

Posted , 14 users are following.

What is the difference between ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia? My hospital has now diagnosed ME/CFS but when I read the forums it here it seems the two are almost identical. Are they the same thing or not?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I definitely have Fibro, mainly because of the constant pain in my body and the fact that every slight procedure I may undergo (hip replacement, facial surgery and even a dentist checkup) are at least 5/10 times more painful and complicated because of the It. But, I have recently come to the conclusion that I also have  ME because I fall asleep after every small exertion, I miss the end of some TV programmes and I have no energy beyond say 2 hours to do anything. So, although the the pain is always there, it is the ME, if that is what it is that is, which is ruining my life..
  • Posted

I believe even the doctors are confused. Originally I was diagnosed with RA but I felt that my muscles hurt more than my joints, but who am I to disagree with the professional? The years go by and things differently got worse until I could no longer work. They now tell me that I have RA, Fibro, and Lupus. I have CFS as a by product of the autoimmune problems. "Are you sure?" I ask, because I now question everything. Seems like that can not be the right answer. Now I see better that MECFS, which I had never heard of, is the fit! I took the quiz to be sure, but I already knew.

• Posted

Yes. I think that the doctors are confused and rightly so. All these things are so alike and only different from each other by perhaps one symptom.

Ive been through them all looking for answers and come to the conclusion that I will go with whatever I can control. I've gone for Fibro because there is a lot of understanding and help in my area and it works for me.

I live with the pain, the fog and the lack of energy with the minimum of medication and knowing that I will have good and bad days. Today I have been useless and I have slept through most of it, tomorrow I hope will be better.

Stress is a huge factor in all of these conditions and avoidance if you can will help. It was stress yesterday that put me to bed today.

Do whatever is best for you and don't stress out looking for answers that the doctors cannot 100% give you. Take control of your own condition.

Wishing you less bad days and more good days.

• Posted

You are so right! One day at a time. I have learned to say maybe when asked if I could meet/do something at anytime. I do complete rest before any appointment I must do but no longer worry if I must cancel. I have done all to distress my life and it has helped. But it helps talking to people like yourself who understand.

Be well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.