Different brands, different side effects??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all! I was dispensed a different brand of sertraline which I started taking yesterday. I've had an escalation in side effects. Has anyone else noticed this and is it therefore best to stick with one brand??

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi. 

Yes I did. 

It was like starting all over again with the side effects.

i wrote down what was in each of them and yes there is a difference.

my gp told me to put a repeat in early so they can get the ones I’m settled on in for me. 

• Posted

I did  exactly that earlier today Julie. At first GP was slightly hesitant, the pharmacist I chatted to prior to that, even more so. They both said...no, no...changing brands doesn't matter, it's the same drug. To which I replied "well my therapist has seen 100's of patients in his career and told me specifically to use the same brand as he had seen the ups and downs of people going from one brand to another and that if he was a betting man, he'd bet on seeing 'generics not as good as they're said to be' as headline news at some point in the future"! I told he GP "either give me the same brand or dispense lustral instead (which being the original is way more expensive)". I got the generic I started on. It's a sad state of affairs when budgets take precedent over people's health. I take migraines too and I take immigran for them. They tried to swap me to the generic. Immigran works in 15-30 minutes. The generic can take up to 2 hours and I may have to take more. 

• Posted

I had a right set to with receptionist about it, she said they are all the same.

eh NO. And I made an appointment with my gp and she was happy to give me the ones I get on with.

iv got to phone the doctors tomorrow for a repeat prescription, I will be giving them a month to get the ones in I want. 

I even Emailed the manufacturer when they said they couldn’t get them in because of short supply and TEVA  said no there isn’t. 

Let’s see how I get on. 

Iv had 3 different manufactures and this one is the one that works for me

Sorry for delayed reply. Full of cold at mo, so not 100% 

• Posted

Funnily enough, it's the TEVA brand that works for me too. I got switched to Ranbaxy and have been running back and forth to the loo as well as many other escalations in symptoms. The suppliers are never generally short in my opinion.....the pharmacies are opting for the cheapest, whatever's on offer, to keep their costs down. I can see why they do it....the government has left them with little choice but whilst it's hurting the pockets of the pharmacies, it's having an even more detrimental effect on patients. Bloody ridiculous. There...my rant for the day lol! I hope you get better from your cold soon xx

• Posted

Hi Gabrielle,

How long did it take you to go back to normal after switching back to your original generic? I have had exactly the same problem after being switched from Ranbaxy to Accord. I had 8 days on Accord and felt awful, so went to the Dr and he wrote me out a prescription for Ranbaxy again. I have had 5 days back on this and still don't feel much better!

Many thanks x

• Posted

Hi Gabrielle,

How long did it take you to go back to normal after switching back to your original generic? I have had exactly the same problem after being switched from Ranbaxy to Accord. I had 8 days on Accord and felt awful, so went to the Dr and he wrote me out a prescription for Ranbaxy again. I have had 5 days back on this and still don't feel much better!

Many thanks x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.