Different brands of amlodipine

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi, I take Amlodipine 5mg and have found that with one particular brands I get more side effects than with the other, and I wondered if anyone has had the same experience. I am obviously cautious about mentioning particular brands on a public forum, but the main point is that the pharmacist disagreed that there could be differences and that this could be the cause of the problem, but I have insisted on returning to the original brand I was given, and feel MUCH better. I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks so much for your ideas on this one.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Gerard,

I had the same problem a year ago. My pharmacy changed the generic brand I was taking and assured me it was the same ingrediance although the pill size was half the diameter. So I started taking it and in about a week I started to get headachs and a check of my BP showed it was up almost 20 points. I called my pharmacy and complained and so they replaced my pills with the original brand and my BP returned to normal. I just learned this week that my brand has been discontinued by the manufacturer and I verified that it is true. I don't know what I am going to do right now. 

bob22746

• Posted

hi bob

i. experienced same as you i bthought

why has my. bp. gone up. i noticed

new tabs were in dif packaging but

why would this. affect it?

anyway i renewed. my prescription

two weeks early and next lot were in orig

package and it lowered again

10m amlodipine. also my. calf is not swelling

up like it was.

• Posted

just to add bob. the larger pill

that caused. the trouble not smaller one

• Posted

I had more side effects with Amlodipine Maleate 5mg after always having had the Amlodipine Beselate. My pharmacy understood and recognised the change could produce different side effects.so now I always insist on being given Amlodipine Beselate. Get the GP and pharmacy to get it down on your repeat scrip form. ( Think BEST, for Beselate!)
  • Posted

This is absolutely true. This new generic drug makes me have nightmares, nauseaus, and dizzy.
  • Posted

I have also recently been given a new manufacturer for my amlodipine on a refill. I am allergic to whey. The new prescrip made my feet swell so bad it aggravated the tendonitis and plantar fasciitis so I couldn't walk for 3 days. The fastest way to get the swelling down was to quit taking it. It starts with the letter L. The mfg of my old prescrip is not even on the recall list. The new mfg had their amlodipine recalled in 2016 as I've been doing research. see https://www.medprodisposal.com/full-list-of-all-amlodipine-recalls-fda-2012-2017/ My doctor said to start taking it again at 5 mg and if it happened again she would find out if the new mfg inactive ingredients had whey?? Why put myself through all that. So I started with the OLD presc which I still had some and the swelling was slightly noticeable and I could live with that if I took it at night. Now I find the new stuff was manuf in India and only approved in 2013 for sale in the states and has already had a major recall. I'm not a guinea pig but I'm starting to feel like one. So now I have to do research and check the recall history of every generic prescription I ever take??? WTF? You can't trust anyone when it comes to healthcare, you can't even get a list of ingredients unless you ask a pharmacist and maybe not even then but apparently your doctor can. 

• Posted

Yes I personally have experience different side effects when the manufacturer has changed. So I ask my rd to keep with one that doesn't see t me negatively

• Posted

Hello ..I have thought the same thing Gerard..my problems of swollen legs and shin rash just started out of the blue and my brother in law who started on the same medication a few weeks ago developed the same problem .his nephrologist told him to discontinue them immediately as he was sensitive to them.i have completely stopped my tabs(Amlodopine5mgs 28 calendar packTEVA ltdeastbourne but manufactured in Hungary. A white box with yellow and green colour ways .would be interested if these are the same as yours.!
  • Posted

i changed for same reason

i will give u the details which uk pharmacy

its from its pink and white oblong

package best take it on empty stomach

but with glass,of milk works better for me

• Posted

I had the same thing happen. The pill looked different and I realized the pharmacy had again changed labs. First I listed all my new symptoms (after about 28 days) then I looked up symptoms....I had all of them plus a few not listed. I felt awful. No energy, cough, aches where not before, just a general feeling of "awful". I did what I shouldn't do...and just quite taking them for 5 days (My doctor said that is a real no-no). But I felt so much better. So I am looking for the lab that I got my first Rx from but none of the pharmacies use that lab. They move around to the lease expensive one.... I have had this happen 3 times in the last 3 years. I cannot remember the name of the lab that was very very good. I think it was Greene something but haven't found them yet. So, in answer to your query..... Absolutely!!!! When they change suppliers it is a whole new game for the end user.

• Posted

I have found that different generic manufacturers use different fillers, thus some cause me joint pain and muscle cramps. Brand name has no side effects. The only ingredient in the generic that is the same as the Brand name drug is the active.

• Posted

HI there Gerard i've had very similar thing happen with generic brands , i went back to my Dr told her about the side effects i was getting from generic ones. I asked if she would prescribed the brand name and i have never felt so much better. so pleased i did some research and now feeling more my self . side effects from the other ones were endless. GO BACK and explain to the DR, im sure they will prescribe you the brand one again. GOOD LUCK .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.