Different exercise bicycles

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone else have a problem with different bikes. During therapy I used a incumbent bike and it did not hurt my knee at all. So I bought a used one for at home. After riding it for just a couple of days it made my knee hurt so bad that I could barely walk. At first I did not realize it was the bike. I thought I had done something to my knee. So I rested my knee for a couple of days per the PT. Then I tried it again and I realized my knee was beginning to hurt with the bike.   But, go to therapy and can ride that one all day. 

I was discharged from therapy and decided to join a gym.  Well guess what their bikes hurt my knee also. 

Has anyone else had this experience? 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes I’ve had the same problem on a few pieces of gym equipment, I was told it all depended on where the seating and pedals were. In the end I bought a £20 set of pedals on an A frame that sits on floor. It keeps my knee moving whilst watching tv which is what PT wanted

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, when I was released from PT, I looked for a gym to join. I found one that has the same bicycle, leg extender and leg press I used in therapy. I think the key is the positioning of the seat. When I first started there I placed it fairly far back, almost to the point of hyper extension. Gradually as I built strength, I moved the seat closer and have had no issues. Please talk with the director at your gym. Maybe theirs is adjustable to help you as well. Good luck
  • Posted

Jennifer, all bikes have different seat positions and angle of leg movement and distance in relation to the position of the pedals, also all bicycles have different resistance loads, it appears that the bicycles which are given you trouble are inappropriate for the condition of your knee at the present moment in time. If possible try and adjust your bicycle seat position accordingly, obviously the bike at the therapy has the seat position and resistance setting suitable for your knee. It appears that your knee has a little way to go to become stronger. i suggest that you talk to a suitable person at therapy and discuss your dilemma. Let me know how you get on
  • Posted

Thank you everyone!!! Yes the sitting is definitely different on the bikes. On the one I bought and the ones at gym the seats sit higher and go lower the more you increase the range. I will definitely talk to the gym and see what I can do. Once again thank you!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.