Different kind of floaters after retina tear laser surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

After the laser tear surgery I was still seeing the normal "bacteria" shaped floaters but now (being 9 days after surgery) I am seeing black dots floaters. Is this normal to get different kind of floaters. At the 4 day check up the Dr said that the laser went perfectly and nothing broke though. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had something very similar. After laser surgery for a tear I had the standard blob like floaters which moved in my vision. Occasionally I got a new set of large floaters which seemed to appear for a minute or so and then didn’t see them for up to a week after.  I stopped seeing these intermittent floaters about a month after the surgery. I also found that the black floaters were related to bleeding in the eye after a tear and these do go with time as the blood is reabsirbed by the body.  Scares you to death seeing new floaters after a retinal repair - but apparently it’s normal to get these after the repair - the danger signs are new flashes. 

I have had a tear in both eyes so could write a book on floaters - unfortunately the medics are never really interested these different floater behaviour. 

• Posted

Oh ok thank you. Also my dr said that the flashes I have should go away eventually. But if I get them in a different area that is a warning sign? 
    • Posted

You can potentially still get flashes for months after a tear - I’m pretty sure my tear in the left eye took almost a year to completely settle down.  

The doctor seemed to be more concerned about flashes than more floaters after my tear that’s why I mentioned it - I had a number of panic trips to a&e thinking that something else was going on. 

I think the best advice I can give is that if you are unsure pop back to the emergency department - when it comes to tears you will be seen.  Its better just get it checked than worry.

Also if you get a shadow or curtain effect go straight to emergency. 

All a lot to take in - but I’ve been told to be vigilant about changes in my eye, difficult not to get anxious at times. Seems to get easier with time. 

• Posted

I just had retinal tear laser surgery a week ago. The next morning, the vision was a bit blurry but seemed better than before surgery. However, a few hours later big black spider leg floaters appeared for about 15 minutes and now I have a large jellyfish like blob directly in my line of vision. The flashes have reappeared, as well.

I was told by the nurse to expect headaches, but should they be getting worse instead of better?

And the floater (blob) is definitely worse than before. Could this be a second tear? I do have an appointment in a few days for a follow up.

I  am curious if anyone else experienced the same?

• Posted

I had a retinal tear in Jan. I still have floaters that the doc says is from the hemorrhage that should go away in time. However I stil from time to time have blurriness, not severe, but noticeable in that eye. The eye also seems to get irritation almost allergy like that u can't figure out what causes. I do wear contacts but even when I keep them out , it still happens. Wondering if anyone has had same issues 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.