Different Kind of Migraine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All,

Experienced a different kind of migraine and it's worrying me. About a week ago I was just buying something at the local shop when I looked up to take my change to see half my view in my left eye was distorted, flashing bright lights etc. Now normally when I get migraine the aura will start small, get bigger, then smaller before headache sets in. 

It took me aback and I made my way home to sleep it off. However this time the lights (aura) didn't go. Thumping headache which carried on and on.

The next day no difference so I went to local A & E. Had bloods taken and CAT scan. Results came back normal. Went to Urgent Eye Care, had drops in eyes and was told I didn't have detached retina.

Felt a little better and sight was much better but still flashing lights at side of vision. Day 2 (evening) a lot of flashing lights but head pain subsided. 

Day 3 / 4 still flashing lights but no headache. Went for walk and was very tired quickly.

Day5 felt better in self but still lights at side of vision.

Went back to Dr's today who have refered me back to the eye clinic.

A migraine and it's effects have never gone on this long before.

Very worrying. Vision still not back to the level it was.

Any thoughts?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Could the visual disturbances be posterior vitreous derachment?

I am going through this right now.

You get sparks of light from the outer eye, and you get floaters and cobweb affects in your eye

It is not dangerous as long as you get checked that it is not a retina detachment.

Google this and check it out

• Posted

Sorry, also meant to say maybe it was both a migraine and PVD.  

I get the ocular thing in my eyes but no headache. Just wondered if both were maybe going on at the same time

• Posted

Hi,

Back to the Dr's today who seemed to be a bit more clued up (so much depends on the Dr and if they have time!). She did mention vitreous detachment. I had detached retina ruled out last Friday when they put drops in the eye and checked.

Feel back to normal pretty much today, but it has been a week and no past migraine had lasted that look. Still lights on left edge of vision but not to the level as before. Hopefully things can return to normal.

PVD?

• Posted

Good the retina detachment was ruled out.

PVD is posterior vitreous detachment

What did the doctor say to you about it?

Today I am going for a re-check on mine. This started in my right eye a month ago, so it has to be checked. Weird stuff going on in that eye.....and I am starting to think it is starting in m,y left eye They told me that would happen

If it is PVD, it starts with the sparks on your out vision.

have you been getting and floaters or cob webbing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.