Different manufacturers for Carbamazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am on Carbamazepine 200 mg tablets 3 in AM 3 in PM. It was working well for me. Up until my pharmacy switched manufacturers of the med. The shape and color of the pill is different. It is not as effective as the the other I had. long before my next dose is due it is worn off and it is back to the shocks. This one is manufactured by Torrent. Has anyone had this happen to them?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey Mandy your pharmacy should NOT do this with this medication. I am on Carbamazepine, Tegretol brand and since starting this med my neurologist and drs have made it very clear that I have to make sure I don't get given a different brand. Your pharmacist should know this and you should be able to go back to them and ask them to rectify their mistake.

Hope you feel better soon Xx

• Posted

Do u think it maybe the generic form? You can ask your Dr. to be more specific on the prescription and write that he doesn't want anything to be subsituded to dispense as written. No generics

I have had the same thing happpen.

• Posted

Hi Mandy

you have noted a problem which is not uncommon. there has been quite a bit of correspondence about this on the TNA.org website in UK. Generic drugs (produced after patent has expired) can be + or - 10% the dosage of the original tablets. If youre on about 1600mg of Tegretol as i was, that's a significant change in dose. You must stay on the same manufacturer's drugs and dosage . Yes there will be some changes in efficacy and of course, side effects

cheers

D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.