Different manufacturers of fluoxetine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone. I've suffered with anxiety for approx 8 years. I was put on fluoxetine to help, which they did. I managed to come off of them but started to take them again in June last year. After taking them for approx 2 weeks I felt so much better. For a few months I had the same manufacturer of flu then I was given a different one. It made me feel bad but I got used to them and was ok. Then the next month a different manufacturer again. After 4 days I felt awful so spoke to my chemist who gave me the same as the month before. Ok after a few days. Since the beginning of the month I'm on different ones yet again and feel awful. The pharmacist just isn't interested. Has anyone else had this happen to them. I'm told it's in my mind but reading on this site and in the Internet I've found I'm not the only one. Thank you for reading

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Not with fluoxetine but with diazepam, they insist all brands are the same but i felt some were inneffective, i spoke to the pharmacy and they said some people do feel that certain brands are not as good even though it really shouldn't  make any difference.

Anyway they said they can order in a certain brand but only if my gp states it on my prescription, she was happy to do that if only to pacify me and now i get the same brand every time but i have to give a bit of notice so they can make sure there's enough time to order it in x

• Posted

Thank you for replying. I'm collecting another prescription on Friday so will speak to the pharmacist, I'm not going back to the unhelpful one, I'll explain the situation and see if he'll help me. If need be I'll speak to my doctor and see what she can do.
    • Posted

No problem, my pharmacy is fortunately very helpful and said as long as the doctor writes it on the prescription they can order and dispense a certain brand but they can't do it without the doctor stating it, not sure if you are uk based or not but i use tesco pharmacy and they were really good about it.
    • Posted

Yes I'm in the Uk. I've always just got my prescriptions from the chemist near my doctor. He's always been good but suddenly he's not so. Think I'm being too much of a pain. There's a chemist not far away and the pharmacist there seems v nice so I'll see how I get on. Been told they buy what's the cheapest, not fair on the patients though
  • Posted

Hello Sam ,we ALL have the same problem of pharmacists swapping

manufacturers, it's purely a money job The government pay them the same rate 

for prescription meds ,so they obviously buy cheap crap, and as you so rightly said ,the chemists don't give a toss 

What I did ,was to go and see the chemist and told them no t to give me

generics ,of anything. then I found another solution, I stopped taking

prescription drugs and went to the health shop.

The best thing is ,I had a full blood count ,my suggestion ,and the results

were good. Of course I told the doctor .it's because Iv'e stopped taking

drugs

So, Sam off you go to the chemist, and tell them 

• Posted

Thank you for replying. Ultimately I want to get off tablets but that's not right now. I've been let down by the pharmacy I use, he was getting me the same ones but stopped, said he couldn't get them anymore. He knows how bad I feel but isn't interested. I've spoken to the pharmacist in a different chemist and he explained about it being about money. I will be going to him with a prescription tomorrow and will have a chat to him and hopefully he'll understand and help by getting me the tablets from the same manufacturer each month.
    • Posted

Well done Sam. it's a start.  If you don't ask, nothing will change Stand

by your guns (I wonder where that expression came from question

No Generics, You seem to have started on the exit road to stop the pills.

so, one day at a time Sam good luck .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.