different tablets is it to many

Posted , 3 users are following.

HI, i'm taking sertraline for depression 100mg, also i take lamotrigine 150mg and levetiracetam 500mg also for seizures, now because i am i lot of pain through an injury my gp has also just prescribed me with Amitiptyline for the pain. Does anyone know if it is safe for me to take the Amitriptyline.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I suppose lolly if your GP has prescribed it and the pharmacist dispensed it without comment it must be ok. Most GP practices have up to date computer programmes that alert them if prescribed medication is contraindicated with another you are taking.
    • Posted

thank you matron, as i am so worried because it says it can hire your blood pressure, i a'm VERY sensitave to lots of medication's

• Posted

10mg and i have to increase it every night

• Posted

I take 20mgms at night. I also take Losartan for hypertension. I find Amitriptyline hasn't affected my blood pressure at all. Try the 10mgms and see how you feel in the morning.
    • Posted

Keep in touch. Let me know how you get on.
  • Posted

lolly: I live in the U.S. Dr.’s and pharmacists are not always aware of the interactions between meds. Try to google taking the combination and each one individually to cross reference interactions with other meds. I take 1500 mg levetiracetam ER (extended release), 500 mg lamotrigine ER, and 45 mg of mirtazapine for sleep and depression to counter the effects of the two anti-seizure meds. I had knee surgery last year, and the Dr. who performed it prescribed me the pain reliever tramadol, which was a mistake. Tramadol lowers the seizure threshold and I had a couple problems. It was only afterwards I found out about the consequences of taking tramadol by looking it up, too late. I mentioned this to my GP and he was surprised that the other Dr. didn’t know this. He wanted to know the name of the Dr. who prescribed me tramadol. My arthritic Dr. even knew not to prescribe tramadol to epileptics. The pharmacist didn’t catch it either. If another Dr. ever prescribes me another new med., I’ll look up possible interactions before taking it. Good luck. 
    • Posted

thank you steve,, a locom doctor priscribed me tramadol although i told her they make me feel faint, she said it is only a small dose but i still had the same reaction to them
    • Posted

My GP switched me to norco (from tramadol) for the knee pain, but that was only on a short term basis. I quit taking them after my knee pain stopped, but I took 2 yesterday for back pain that kept me awake the night before. I have a lot respect for my GP, he even knows about vitamins, which most Dr.’s seem to be lacking. A week before I see him, he orders a complete blood work done. I saw him yesterday and found out my cholesterol is high. He suggested what changes in my diet to  lower it. Some Dr.’s might just give you another med for it.

I won't take any dose of tremadol anymore. I don't know how to bring it to the attention of your Dr. Print out the possible side effects off the web to show your Dr explain your reaction to it again?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.