Different type of diverticulitis

Posted , 1 user is following.

I haven't posted, or needed to post for over a year. But 11 weeks ago I became very unwell with vomiting and the runs. Gastroenteritis said GP1, it will clear in a week so just wait it out. It did clear - in 4 weeks by which time I'd lost a stone.

One week later all the symptoms returned and my temperature was 39.5 and I lost a further 7 pounds. This time GP2 made a home visit and said - not gastroenteritis, I think it's diverticulitis. But I don't have any pain I said. He wanted to give me Metronidazole (Flagyl)but I was already so sick of being sick I said no. So he said - call immediately if the symptoms come back as you must then take the antibiotics.

8pm Christmas Eve and the symptoms returned. Of course the GP surgery was closed. So I left an e-consult and was called into the surgery by GP3 on Tuesday. She agreed it was probably diverticulitis, but emptied my arm of blood, and took stool and urine samples to rule out anything more sinister. She is also looking into ovarian problems. I took the Metronidazole, which actually gives me nausea, vomiting, nasty taste and the runs. If it wasn't for the fact that my temperature is normal, I'd think it was bout 4 of illness.

Does anyone else have diverticular attacks like this, without pain, but with all the other symptoms? Or has anyone else had long lasting side effects from previous courses of antibiotics?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.