Different types/brands of Mesalazine?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last time I tapered off of Prednisolone and was put on Octasa, I flared back up again.

Currently back on prednisolone and still taking Octasa but My GI has suggested that this time I swap to Mezavant XL. He confirmed what i'd heard before about how some people react differently to the different preperations of brands. e.g Some might not react well to Asacol but might to Octasa.

I change to the Mezavant pills tomorrow and I'm feeling hopeful. Things are currently okay right now but I think that's the Prednisolone's work anyway! Still nervous they might not work but I've got to stay optimistic.

I guess the only way I know is in 2 months time when my prednisolone course has ended 😦

Anyone had any experiences like this with different forms/brands of mesalazine?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joel

yes, i had the same problem with mezavant, it made me relapse and flare and gave me terrible flatulance. Octasa also disagreed with me.

I am now on Pentasa and going well.

Best of luck with the Mez

• Posted

I've been on Mezavant for the past 4 years between my 1st and 2nd major flares, so I'd say it has been pretty effective at controlling things. Hope it works for you.

• Posted

I did not react well to Pentasa. It gave me dizzy spells and back pain but have done well on Octasa which goes to show we are all different. Octasa has kept me in remission for a year and doesn't seem to have any side effects on me. My holding dose is 2.4 gram per day as opposed to 4.8 gram per day taken in addition to Prednisolone when flaring last year.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.