Different ways to get genital warts ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I recently found out on my own that I have genital warts. I’ve been putting apple cider vinegar on them and they’ve been slowly falling off. My question is could I have contracted genital warts from potentially going to the gym? I don’t always go but recently i started and was sweating like crazy. I did not immediately change out of my work out clothes when I was finished, I actually stayed in them all day because I got so busy doing other things. I’ve done this on a couple of occasions and shortly after is when the warts popped up! Could they have come from excessive sweating in that area and staying in those clothes all day and night?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It is imperative to maintain certain hygiene level to discourage harmful microbes from taking refuge on or in our bodies; taking a deep clean bath upon getting home is one great way to do just that. But that does not necessarily mean that the genital warts came from your habit of not bathing after workout. If you rule out sexual route, then you might want to look into using public restrooms. Do you flush before use? Do you get picky with where you ease yourself and ensure that it is clean? Do you clean the seat and cover it very well before sitting on it? Do you wash your hands thoroughly after using the restroom and avoid touching any surfaces - including the door handle - with your bare hands?

Those are the questions you must ask yourself; it's a good place to start from. Good luck! 

• Posted

Also, could you upload some pictures to give us a better idea of what is going on? Not sure how? Well, here's how. Make sure you're posting from either a tablet or a computer, but not a cellphone as a cellphone would not give you the option to upload media. You should see a screen similar to the one below 👇 

• Posted

It's very easy to get warts, they are highly contagious. If you have ever had a wart on any part of your body that touches your genitals, you can get warts on your genitals. That includes any part of your body that touches a wart on any other part of your body. A virgin could easily have genital warts.

• Posted

I think it's wrong, viruses cause genital warts are different from other types if warts, all hpvs but different kinds.

• Posted

I should fact check before posting. Yes, they are different viruses. Don't mind me!

• Posted

To answer your question, no it is not possible to contract HPV from being in dirty gym clothes (perhaps unless someone was wearing the clothes prior to you and you put them on). HPV (genital warts) is a virus and typically passed via sexual intercourse or oral sex. On rare occurrences it can be passed from hand to genital contact (skin to skin touching) as well. You cannot catch HPV from a toilet seat.

It can be difficult to tell where the virus came from and many people do not show symptoms for periods of time - so if you do not have a recent exposure, it could have been something that you were carrying already. 

When you are saying that you "found out on my own" - are you self diagnosing or did a doctor indicate that you have HPV? There are other skin conditions that can look similar to warts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.