differing information

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all I had my rthr on 5th November at Spire Gatwick Park and all has gone really well, I found this forum a couple of weeks after I went home and was amazed at how little pre-op info I was given. Because I luckily ad BUPA it was only a month between seeing my surgeon and the op in which I squeezed in the pre-op assessment but had to miss the pre-op physio as I was on holliday. So had done no research, when I went home I had 2 sticks which my husband had for his knee replacement and had been adjusted I had practised with them pre-op and although I had physio in hospital had no real instructions apart from 90 degree rule for 6 weeks and how to get up and sit down, no seat raisers or gadgets. I managed fine without but interested to know if it was down to me not asking or if its common practice dont ask dont get. Regards all Julie (surrey uk)

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know what you mean because I was the same. All my questions were answered post op by physio who I felt treated me like "it's all in your head". I'm now shorter in the unoperated side with a numb thigh. I did not know about these 'side effects' because I didn't ask! I think this forum is fantastic and I did not feel like a freak as others were complaining about the same problems. Everyone can give their opinion or advice and it's lovely to feel like you are not alone. Good luck x
    • Posted

Maybe they don't want you to know so much, you might change your mind.
  • Posted

I had my op at a well-known hospital in Sydney. I was given NOTHING. No info, no exercises, no walking aids, no spare dressings, etc. I was "non-weight-bearing" but they didn't even give me crutches. I had to limp out under my own very limited steam. 

The only thing they offered me was a prescription for narcotics. I turned it down and they got angry with me for asking for a paracetamol tablet an hour later...

• Posted

Julia, I am always amazed at the differing attitudes and systems that we all go through.My partner was concerned about comng out of Bupa a few years ago but  I had mine on the NHS and had twice as much support as you had - how does that work?

This morning I have just had a call from the ward in answer to a query about bringing my drugs with me on Friday (for number two hip). 

I realise that yours was a bit of a rush job but it doesn't take long to explain everything. I went to 'hip club' six weeks before the op last June and a week later a delivery lorry turned up with all my kit (bed and chair raisers, bath board, grabbers, back sponge thingy, two 'comfort' crutches and a stick!).

For this one I just had a call to make sure I still had all the kit and that I was happy with everything.

I am delighted that you have come through it well but in my personal opinion I would contact Bupa and tell them exactly what happened. You should have had better care all round - this op is not just like getting your tonsils removed - it's major!!!! 

• Posted

Did you get all these home supplies free of charge? What about a bath seat? I had to purchase all bathroom items, seat w back, handle attached to side of tub to grab getting in and out, raised seat. Then, my reacher, rolowalker, cane, compression stockings. The list goes on way up to around $1200. I "might" get reimbursed for my rolowalker. The rest I'll have to donate or save for next time my hip needs surgery, or my knee, or my other knee...
    • Posted

The National Health Service (NHS) in the UK does provide some things free of charge, but it depends on how they manage it in your particular area, as to how much you will get.  

I was given two toilet raisers (we have two toilets), one set of seat raisers, sticks/crutches, two pairs of TEDs, TED aid (slippery nylon bag), slide sheet (useful for turning yourself into a car seat), all the pain pills I could carry, laxatives, spare dressings, four one-to-one physio sessions and 6-8 'physio class' sessions in the hospital gym.

I was told i would not be offered the smaller items - grabber, shoe horn, stick clips, or a raiser for my recliner chair (so I made one myself).

Graham

• Posted

Hi. I had my op privately. The exercises were explained to me at my pre-op assessment and I was told what equipment I would need with helpful examples. I had to obtain most of it but I did borrow a grabber from my brother. The physios in the hospital took me through the exercises every day while I was in hospital with some sessions in the hydrotherapy pool too. I then went to a physio once I got home - did that weekly for about 5 weeks. I was looked after really well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.