Difficulty breathing?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm going down at 17 mg. prednisone and sometimes find the fatigue and exertion leads to extreme shortness of breath and forced brething. Almost went to the ER the other night. Is this uncommon, and what can help?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Breathlessness can be a side effect of pred. However - don't assume it is the pred, it may not be. Get your doctor to check you out.

• Posted

Thankks, Eileen. Have new doctor, but he suggested too fast pred. drop. I'm changing that and increasing vit. D.  Dr. is also providing me with an oxygen unit for any emergency. Thank you!!!

• Posted

Ron, I have had breathing issues before PMR but worse with PMR and pred. Recently I was slowly going down to 9.75 from 10 and I was terrible. My pulmonary encouraged me in the past to supplement with Vit D around 5,000 iu since recent studies, though varying in their outcomes, suggest higher blood levels associated with better lung function. Vit D receptors have been found in the lung. Well I forgot about the D in my obsession to manage pred. My bone formula only has 1000u and pred depletes D. My recent Vit D level was lowest normal: 30.5ng/ml with the normal reference range as 30-100 ng/ ml. Some researchers suggest maintaining blood level at 50ng/ml- midrange of normal. So I am just now upping the dose to 7,000 in concert with my pulmonary.

We just tried having me go up to 15 of pred for 3 days, 12.5 for 3 days; I was terrible- out of breath Just walking in my home. My inhalers only partially effective.

One of the side effects of too fast tapering is breathlessness. Could that be your situation?

• Posted

Karen, I love this list and SO value your response. Yes, I think I was going too fast reducing (new doctor) and will change.  Dr. is going to provide me with an oxygen unit for emergency, but meanwhile I'm taking 5000 vit. D. I never knew a suggested amount until now. THANK YOU!

• Posted

Another factor to consider is weight.  I noticed that as my brother grew heavier and heavier (may not be your issue) he got more breathless and had more issues breathing.  Likewise for me as I have gained weight with the pred.  Trying very hard now to reduce since I am in Florida for a month.  Still tremendously hard even on a veggie, lean meat, fish low to no carb diet and exercising three times a day.  I hope your doctor is able to sort it out for you.  Glad you have the oxygen if needed.
    • Posted

The weight factor has been curious with me. When my PMR started 1 & 1/2 yrs. ago, I lost 20 pounds (171 to 151) in 2 months. Since then I've gone to 6 lbs over my original weight to 177. Biggest problem is how to exercise when getting up out of a chair is exhausting & out of breath.??

• Posted

Ron, , I can so relate with the fatigue. I did not gain weight but it shifted to my trunk sort of barrel-like.

i found resting alternating with even the mildest exercise helpful and increased my energy. I watch TaiChi warmups on YouTube. These can be so slow and gentle but invigorating. By resting I mean laying down not sitting. 

I am feeling better since upping my D. 

• Posted

I gained weight in the first 5 years of PMR - no pred but inactive. When I did get pred I didn't really gain any more weight but it all redistributed itself - instead of being cuddly all over, it transfered to around my midriff, cheeks and back of my neck. And when I went low carb it slowly, oh so slowly, melted from my midriff - I didn't realise until the spare trousers i had packed for my daughter's wedding just fell down! But I did eventually get my waist back - so now when I get trousers that fit my bum they are about 2 inches too big on my waist!

• Posted

I guess the thing to remember is that there are numerous side effects to this MPR stuff. Eileen, you are still intellectually cuddly all over to us with your expertise. My doctor has learned from my info and now knows you by name. Thank you!
  • Posted

You took the right action going to the ER when having shortness on breath.

Probably you feel your heart racing more than normally too.

Keep observing those symptoms.

Recently I had my heart racing called 911 and after some shots and breathing, straight to the Emergency and stayed

3 days at the Observation unit.

Hopefully I am fine now - I am having coffee just early in the

morning, always mixing half decaf half a delicious non decaf

Cinnamon Hazelnut

To much coffee a day was my problem.

Now I feel fine.

Hope you will get a solution for your problem.

I follow a sensible diet of veggies. greens, no salt - lots of salad, fruits, yogurt, ginseng, + supplements,

Vitamins etc,

Take care

iellen32

Take care

iellen32

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.