Difficulty breathing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Im 27 years old , been active all my life , didn’t have a sedentary life .So it all started like 3 years ago , I had very small difficulties breathing ( only sometimes , not all the time).At that time was smoking around 1 packet of cigarettes per day , I even quit smokin for a few months and It had no effect.

Over the years the effects became much worse , in some of the days these sensations of not getting enough air no matter what I do ,would last for like 1-2 hours but it will go away for a few weeks.

Now in the present day I have them everyday , I get tired a lot faster , I cant sleep on my belly like at all cause the suffocating sensation is getting even worse , after I eat my heart starts beating a lot faster and 90% of the time after I eat  , no matter what I eat or how much I eat I would feel like I can’t breath and like I ran 10 km , and there is nothing I can do , very rarily it even wakes me up at night.

I went to heart control , said I had nothing  ( not very detailed investigation ) ,  I went to lung investigation , had spirometry and radiography said it was ok.

I have my good days , and my bad days but its starting to become a permanent state (  I want to mention that sometimes the cold air will make me feel better).

Can someone help me ? because its becoming a burdain to live like this everyday.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am seventy. My symptoms were slightly different to yours. I would sleep for two hours and then wake up gasping and coughing for air. I had occasional chest pains. This has been going on for four years. One doctor said chest pains were indigestion, another said "You are in very good health for someone your age". There is a lot more detail that I dont want to say here.

But in the desperation I bought a "Peak Flow Meter" online (£15.00) and followed the instructions I drew a graph of my lung function. I was blowing about 100 litres per minute when my breathing was bad and 450 litres per minute when my breathing was good (it was better mid afternoon and worse in the morning).

I took the meter and graph to the doctor and was eventually diagnosed with Asthma.

Asthma can cause chest pain. I now have inhalers to take every day and feel great. I use the PFM occasionally and always blow over 400 litres per minute.

It took three years to get a diagnosis. I am not saying you have Asthma, But a meter may help get a diagnosis.

good luck

• Posted

I have similar issues and I think it could possibly be GERD, a hiatal hernia or asthma. I'm having an endoscope Friday. I would go back to your doctor again.

• Posted

I was a smoker since I was 16. I quit in 2007.

The past four months my breathing is getting worse and they did echocardiogram, x-rays and blood work but found nothing. They gave me Wellbutrin to go along with my xanax. Take your inhalers(4) of them and your nebulizer and nothing is working. I'm getting more winded every day. Each breath is a struggle. Pulmonary test this week. I am 61 and this is not fun.

I will pray for all those with breathing problems.

Oh I have asthma and COPD

Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.