Difficulty breathing but asthma meds and inhailer don't work

Posted , 4 users are following.

This started about 3 to 4 weeks ago I couldent breath so I went to the doctor and she said it was asthma and gave me a albuterol inhailer which does not work for me if anything it makes in worse she also put me on singular ( montelukast) which worked for about a week then I started getting side effects like heart palpitations,and lump in throat it felt like i needed to vomit but dident then it felt like my throat was going to close so i stoped taking it last night and it got worse now I'm having difficulty breathing, dizziness ,nausea ,stumic pain , anxiety,flushing ,

What could I have that would be causing these symptom

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Noah -

Sounds like it could be due to an acid reflux problem. I have GERD and asthma. I can tell you acid reflux can definitely affect your breathing. Do some online research on the subject.....you'll find loads of info.

• Posted

Hi Noah. I hope you have found answers and relief by now. In my experience, if your breathing problems and wheezing do not improve at all with albuterol, most doctors will say you don't have asthma. There is a catch to this, however. Once an asthma attack becomes very bad/too far gone, rescue inhalers are sometimes not strong enough to open the airways. This is quite serious. You must get to the ER immediately when the inhaler doesn't work and you are short of breath. Based on your blood oxygen level, the ambulance medics and hospital will do any combination of procedures: breathing treatments, which are concentrated mists of albuterol and another anti inflammatory drug like a steroid, iv steroids, and (heaven forbid) intubation, which is a respiratory tube down your throat. I hope your difficulties are never that severe. Most people respond well to one or two albuterol breathing treatments and get to go home the same day. I am one of those people who can get beyond the point of inhalers and albuterol when I am in full blown asthma attack. I will be in the hospital about 3 days before my airways are clear enough to get discharged. Mega steroid doses are required. I hate it. Again, I hope you don't have asthma and are feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.