Difficulty breathing, feels like heart palpatations when I lay down

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone have these symptoms. I feel breathless when trying to have a conversation with someone. I start coughing right away and have to cut the conversation short. When I lay down I have chest palpatations, it's not a good feeling. I know it's due to the reflux. When I am moving around I don't feel the palpatations, when I sit still, I feel them, when I go to bed, I feel them. I am going to see a cardiologist. I also have a schzatki ring, don't know if that's adding to my issue. The dr. Said he stretched it. I have lpr, so there's no other symptoms .

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

No not when I lay down, butwhen I bend over and walk up slight hills, stairs,

And I have to have a rest after 75 yards, but I continually have heartburn,am taking

Ramitidine, and Cider Vinegar, have Inhalers, sometimes get Panic attacks.

I know I have Gerd and Emphysema, but am also wondering if it also because I have weak stomach muscle

Bexcuse I was in bed for 4 months after my accident 4 years ago.

I think Raising your bed and adding Pillows may help a bit, it helps me at night TATAMI.

GOOD LUCK,

THIS ILLNESS IS A NIGHTMARE

• Posted

Thank you for sharing. I do have extra pillows I lay on. I had an echocardiogram today. Waiting for my results. Hopefully I'll get them tomorrow. These palpatations are awful

• Posted

I recently have had shortness of breath as a symptom of my reflux. I hate it so much. sad I'm sorry you are dealing with this.

I've found this article that I thought might be useful:

To quote from it:

"   Pseudo-dyspnea, which means false shortness of breath, is the opposite of true dyspnea.  It is improved by exertion and worsened by rest.  One of the best clinical tools that can differentiate between true and false shortness of breath is exertion.  Simply asking the patient who suffers from dyspnea if the shortness of breath is made worse or better by activity will clarify the diagnosis.  The three main causes of pseudo-dyspnea or the false shortness of breath are a) esophagitis, b) anxiety, and c) panic.

...There are sensory nerve endings in the esophagus that can send false messages to the brain.  When the esophagus is burned by refluxed acid, these nerve endings fool the brain into feeling short of breath, as though the lungs were not providing enough oxygen.  Reacting to this feeling, the individual takes in deep sighs in an attempt to alleviate the perceived shortness of breath.  But, the more and the deeper the sighs, the worse the perceived shortness of breath gets, rendering the individual restless and anxious.  This restless anxiety leads the individual to pace or exercise, which temporarily relieves the shortness of breath.  When motion ceases and the individual sits or lies down, the shortness of breath returns.

Treatment of this false shortness of breath relies on suppressing stomach acid and coating the esophagus with acid protecting agents.  A combination of Omeprazole (or other acid suppressing medicines) plus Simethicone (or other acid protecting medicines) will give prompt relief and reassurance that there is nothing wrong with the heart or lungs."

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Wow, this article is so true. When I am on the go, there's no shortness of breath. When I sit still, here it comes. It's really getting out of hand. I take dexilant 60mh. Sometimes apple cider vinegar. I can't talk. When someone talks to me, I can't respond. A delayed response because I will cough, trying to get my breath together

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.