Difficulty Breathing, Heart Problems and High D-Dimer

Posted , 4 users are following.

About a month ago, whilst sitting with my Parents, I noticed my heart felt fluttery. This had never happened before.

My Mum, an Ex-Paediatric Nurse, took my pulse and noticed it was fast and had an irregular pattern at some points. I rested and we all kept an eye on my condition as there was no pain to go with it.

After a brief Camping Holiday (no heavy activities), I noticed that my breathing was being weird. It felt similar to my usual breathlessness and through-a-straw type breathing that I usually get from my Asthma, except this time, my inhalers didn't do a thing to help me.

I visited my usual Nurse at the Asthma Clinic and she noted that the cause couldn't be the Asthma as my sats were normal (sp02 98-100). I then went to my GP the next day only to be given the task of making a 2-week Peak Flow diary to fully rule out Asthma as the cause.

Shortly after finishing the diary, I had to go to A&E as my Heart Rate has shot up to 130bpm and I found it difficult to breath. (No pain anywhere).

They did the ECG. Everything was fine as far as they could see (by this point, all of my symptoms had started to calm down, typical!) They took a blood test and for the most part it was normal except for a High D-Dimer reading. They sent me home for the weekend as they felt it was safe for me to do so as there was no pain.

I came back the following Monday for an X-Ray and a VQ Scan and I was told that there was nothing there to worry about. I was then discharged.

I am now left with more questions than answers and not sure what to do. I still have the symptoms but now the Heart problem seems to have evolved into a consistent bounding in my chest which is unsettling to say the least!

What should I do? Has anyone else had these issues before?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Did they say that you have ectopic beats or atrial fibrillation ?

• Posted

I cannot remember which terms were used but they said the Heart Rate was highly elevated and they had noticed my heart skipping a beat and then beating fast afterwards.

• Posted

I had a similar experience a week ago, was transported by ambulance to the ER, heart rate

was irregular (in the ambulance paramedics said my rate was 165, then 85, then all over the place). I was told later at the hospital that I had atrial fibrillation that morphed into atrial

flutter and was told I need an ablation. I have an app with a doctor on 11/08 to discuss my

options. I am currently on Eliquis, but I do not want to be on this long term, because I have

LUPUS and am now not able to use any NSAIDs, because they're contraindicated while on this

medicine. I've read where the left atrial appendage is a site for clots, but a doctor who saw

me in the hospital said ablation is pretty cut and dry for atrial flutter, but a little trickier to

resolve if you have a-fib. Problem is, I have both. Meditation is helpful in that it keeps me

from stressing, because that is not helpful under any circumstances.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.