Difficulty breathing in high humidity

Posted , 3 users are following.

Diagnosed 3 years ago due to breathing difficulties walking, stairs, etc.  Living without any meds, but shortness of breath continues and find I have most problems in warm, humid weather.  Keep house cold all year with fan going in bedroom all night, circulating air seems to help.  Has anyone tried a dehumidifier to aid breathing especially at night.       

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jo ann! It seems to be variable by patient. I cannot tolerate cold AC and even fans at night make breathing difficult for me. Wintertime I must always cover my face outdoors. I get a cold feeling in my upper chest if I don't (like if you ran really fast in cold weather and got that cold/burning in chest/throat area). I wonder if humidity would help keep things loose in the lungs so it comes up easier? I run AC a little in the summer and dehumidifier in my basement. I am really interested to see the replies you get because I would love to move to florida in a few years! Best of luck😊

• Posted

Thanks for your response.  Apparently our bodies to respond differently.  I breath better in moderate temperatures with air circulation; however, must keep temperature low enough to keep humidity down.  Right now in high 80-90 degree weather I must keep AC low enough to keep humidity in low 50's.  At night it's about 66-68 in my bedroom while I sleep in winter PJ's with electric blanket, which I sometimes must turn on low to stay warm.  I didn't go back to doctor after diagnosis, because he wanted to do a left heart cath.  I didn't understand the need for this and so far have not heard of anyone else with bronchiectasis who has had one.  I have never been told I have asthma, tried an inhaler which didn't help, and do not bring up a lot of phlegm.  I probably need to find a doctor who has a number of patients with my problem and is up-to-date on current treatment.  Thanks again for your help.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.