Difficulty breathing , “unknown”

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello everyone, need some help... so for about 6 months i have been going through the most uncomfortable debilitating symptoms iv ever gone through in my life . for whatever reason i feel as if i cant breath in a satisfying manor . i feel as if there is a pressure in my upper chest lower throat making it feel as if i need to keep taking deep breaths . this has left me constantly monitoring my breathing most likely not making it any better... but i just can not get to the bottom of the underlying cause of this "feeling" i obviously was checked out by the pulmonologist and he claims there is absolutely nothing wrong with my respiratory functions except some "mild " asthma that showed up on a PFT witch ive never suffered from asthma before until i was aware of these findings after the pft results. ive gotten blood work done and my heart was checked and both were okay . just a constant pressure in upper chest just making it such a pain to breath normally and comfortably makes no sense. many say its anxiety but ive been down that road with the benzos and antideprsents and they dont help . inhalers dont do much this symptom is just constant and i cant much appreciatedfind anything to relive it . its been so long now and im getting pretty scared that this will never go away . doctors are of no help they are like deer in the headlights when i explain this to them . the only lead i have is maybe this is GERD so im currently on meds to treat that of it is.... for about 2 weeks now. also i forgot to mention that i saw an ENT and that checked out okay aswell . please if anyone has any information on this it would be much appreciated its an absolute mystery.

thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I am very sorry to hear about your chest problems.

About 8 or 9 years ago I started getting bronchial infections, pretty well one after another. I too ws given inhalers and they talked about asthma, I had never had asthma, tried them but they didn't do any good . Was taken into hospital where they did scans and xrays I had coughing fits until I was sick and at one time I could not breathe at all. I panicked and thought I was on the way out!

This went on and they were scratching their heads until back at the GP's I saw a young Dr freshly hatched, and she thought some more bloods would be good but this time including Vitamins and B12 especially. One other was VitD and Calcium.

When these came back I was very low in B12,Vit D and Calcium. At that time I was 68 yrs old. Now that opened a brand new can of worms and I read that some people cannot absorb B12 from their stomach. People sometimes end up with Pernicious Anaemia. I have injections now as I didn't

Well,after a while I got no more breathing problems and chronic chest infections and I gradually got less fatigued .I live with that now,it was not plain sailing and I have had some problems and I deal with them as they occur,

I don't know if my answer will help you. because as you know there are many other causes it could be tied up with. I would be pleased to learn if you have been sorted.

Good luck to you,

Bigsby.

• Posted

yes i completed ct with contrast and blood work same day

• Posted

you could have dysfunctional breathing. There are breathing exercises that can help with this.

• Posted

You are breathing too fast!! Count your breaths over a minute you should only be doing between 12 to 20 (absolute max, even that is too fast) but between 8-12 is excellent (counting in and out as one breath). Once you start concentrating on your breathing you tend to over breath and think you need to do it more not less. Also breath in and out SLOWLY through your nose so you are using your diaphragm. If you put your hand on the top of your stomach it should rise and fall (while breathing through your nose). If you are mouth breathing your chest will rise and fall. When you exhale as well you should have a 2-3 second break before you inhale again. The shorter the pauses and the faster the breath rate the more the body is being stressed which in turn gives you the feeling of needing to take a deep breath (which you don't need to do). Check out buteyko breathing it's fantastic. Practice makes perfect - it will get better every day if you stick to it. You will be surprised how little breath you actually need to take when you've spent however long thinking you need to breath more when actually what your body is telling you is to breath less,

• Posted

Heya, I'm going through this exact same thing right now. About 4 weeks back I had a bad bacterial pneumonia infection. I felt like I couldn't breathe, like there was a pressure there that stopped me from taking full breaths. My doc said I would improve with antibiotics, but the infection is gone now and the shortness of breath still remains. I had blood work done and an xray. Every thing showed I had nothing wrong with me. So my doctor said it can take weeks to fully get better, but nothing has really changed or improved! She even gave me a ventilator to treat asthma, but I dont have asthma and it doesn't even help with the breathing. If you find out anything about your symptoms, please let me know, as I'm worried this is permanent.

-Danielle

• Posted

hey man im right there with you SUFFERING from undiagnosed suffocation gasping every 30 seconds its quiet scary im unable to do anything

• Posted

I have had similar symptoms for 1.5 years. My pulmonologist recommends vigorous physical exercise. I started running on a treadmill for 30 minutes every day with a speed of 10 km/hrs and this seems to make the symptoms a bit better. Also someone on another health forum recommended kundalini yoga for the 4th chakra.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.