Difficulty Communicating & Forming Sentences

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone else find it difficult to talk sometimes? Such as saying wrong words, can't think of the word, mild stammer? Sounds like a lazy slurring speech?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sadly....yes. Especially during the first few months after diagnosis. I was diagnosed in April, and the "brain fog" has lifted some. My ENT said it's actually normal, as have several websites I've done research on.

• Posted

oh gosh yes i have bouts where i think i am getting dementia because my brain is so foggy and i struggle to express myself. its as though i have a bad hangover and cant be bothered to even talk. other times i am fine. sometimes i am talking and lose the thread of what i am saying. i have certainly lost confidence with strangers and am scared of appearing stupid or something. if its not bad enough struggling with your hearing the brain fog is terrible.

• Posted

thank you for replying, it helps knowing I'm not alone. My partner doesn't seem to understand what I'm struggling with, I just try & stay as happy as I can, the daily menieres 'blur' is tricky to deal with.

• Posted

Absolutely! I am (was) a nurse and felt like a bumbling idiot most of the time. I left my job because driving triggered attacks as did the constant motion and high stress of being a nurse. I can tell you it does improve over time. Hang in there!!

• Posted

i am so sad to hear you had to give up nursing.

I am also a nurse and i am on reduced hours but still have to do the long days.

I am so scared that i am going to have to give it up because of this, every day is a struggle. my symptoms begun to appear in my last somester of training and I am now a year post qualification but every day is a struggle. I love my job but I am laid up the day after a shift and the stress of the job certainly makes it harder.

I need to work as I am a single mum to an 11 year old and have no other means of living. i have already had to take 8 weeks out as i was bed bound and only got statatury sick amounting to £400 a month.

it makes me so sad to think one day i wont be able to do the job i love

sarah

• Posted

whatever happens keep up with the job. I had to stop working 4 years ago because basically i couldnt do the job because i had vertigo every day and the stress of trying to appear normal was dreadful. i thought being at home would help but the social isolation is awful. my advice to anyone is try very hard to stay in employment not just for the money which by the way i also miss! MENIERES steals your life if you let it.

• Posted

thank you. i had to leave my job too. I became so anxious during complex meetings that I would even mumble my name during the introductions. unfortunately mine hasn't improved as I've had menieres since 1997.

• Posted

sue98126 your post about being anxious in meetings brought back memories. i stopped contributing in meetings because i was scared to start talking in case gobblydegook came out! i used to want to close my eyes and will myself miles away. when my boss questioned me and said i was underperforming i told him it was the menieres but never told the full story because i knew it wouldnt go down well. i had tried to explain to a few colleagues but once i mentioned going deaf they started raising their voices and getting a bit irritable when i said pardon if i didnt catch what they said. made me feel stupid. so after 34 years of working for them they made me redundant and that was that.

• Posted

thank you for replying, I think that the meetings were the worst thing I had to deal with, inside my head I would be silently screaming "just get up... go" "go" "leave" but I never did. One day on the way to work, I just turned my car around & drove home... I had a break down & never went back, that was 12 years ago. 5 years ago I started my own business, The Sing 'n Smile Club, which gives me immense joy.

• Posted

well you did the right thing starting your own business. no one to answer to but yourself so no pretending you are ok. i had a really bad attack whilst walking on the beach with my sons dog. it was early December and around 3.30 in the afternoon. suddenly i was on the floor spinning vomiting and dare i say diarrhea. couldnt move so tried to ring someone on my mobile but no signal. i hadnt had a drop attack before so thought i was having a stroke. i lay there on the sand freezing cold for over 2 hours. it was pitch dark by then and i actually thought i might die there. the dog just lay down and waited. i eventually stumbled and fell many times but managed to get back the 2 miles to the carpark. i got a phone signal and my daughter in law came and helped me home. I had another one a month later in the big Tesco. i was mortified lying in the canned goods aisle vomiting and the dreaded loose bowels and people looking at me. they called the ambulance and off i went to hospital because the paramedics thought it was a stroke. i just wanted to disappear into thin air. I felt so ashamed of myself the mess i was in.

after that i wouldnt go out alone again and started not wanting to go out at all. i used online ordering for everything. that was 3 years ago and i have only started getting a bit more confident in the last 6 months after the consultant put me on an antedepressant after much arguing with him that i wasnt depressed i was scared of making a show of myself in public. he was right though i have felt more confident and made the effort to do things. baby steps though.

this illness is a swine isnt it?

• Posted

YES, my new response to people is "sorry, i have brain fog today" because of so many verbal and thought errors. i see you are a nurse. what protocol are you following for your Menieres?

• Posted

Low salt diet, no caffeine at all (huge trigger), driving only when absolutely necessary and only locally, low stress, plenty of sleep, Valium and a diuretic. I've also been to Vestibular therapy, which helped immensely.

• Posted

Thanks. Do you take the valium and diuretic regularly or only as needed? I'm fairly new to the vestibular portion of this disease (I was diagnosed with atypical Meniere's 3 years ago, then had first vertigo recently). I'm trying to figure out what to try and in what order. Since I have thyroid disease and a long history of herpes I am also trying valacyclovir and making sure my thyroid is managed. How has vestibular therapy helped you? I'm a bit off balance but not sure if I need that as well or not. I'm still a bit dizzy everyday but not all day.

• Posted

I take both Valium (5mg) and Diuretic (Diazide-its actually 2 diuretics in one) in the morning. Vestibular Therapy helps strengthen your core and legs so you have better balance during a vertigo attack. I did it 3 times a week for 2 months, now I'm not afraid of falling when an attack hits.

• Posted

I am pleased youve received some medication to help, although i was advised to come off of my anti-depressant as it is one of the worst medications to be on when you suffer with dizziness anyway. I have recently halved my dosage and im doing ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.