Difficulty differentiating if my feelings are wrong or if it’s just my OCD guilt. Please help.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi!

So I struggle with OCD (mainly guilt, obsessive thoughts, etc). My mind races from thing to thing and I am constantly convincing myself I have done something wrong and that I have somehow indirectly cheated on my husband.

Anyway, today's obsession is I have had the thought of being disappointed when I see an attractive man being married or with a girl. Even though I have no intention, chance, or desire to cheat on my husband. Another example, is if I look up a celebrity and I find that they are not single I feel disappointed. I do not know what causes me to feel this way and I feel extremely guilty. My boss was talking about how her son is in medical school and she really wants him to find a girlfriend. I love and adore my husband. He is so understanding with all of this. Do I just have a main character complex and want everyone to be in love with me? What makes it worse is that I texted my friend about this for reassurance and she says that although she does the same thing, she doesn't feel the disappointment. Is this just a normal girl thing or is this something I need to talk to my husband about? My compulsion is talking to him so Idk what to do.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

I'd also like to add that my husband just said most marriages have problems when you start to talk about what you think and that it doesn't matter but I can't help but make myself think it matters

• Posted

My daughter has OCD and has these kind of thoughts, her therapist gave her tips. Do you have a therapist who can help?

On a different note, I'm an adult woman with no OCD and I have a crush on a singer and I'm not upset because he has a boyfriend, but I do have thoughts along the line of I will never be able to be with him and I know it's childish to get upset but I do. These kind of thoughts are quite normal and really NOT something I feel I need to share with my husband. We all hav e thoughts and fantasies. It's 100% normal.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I did have a therapist but we recently just moved to a new state. I was doing really well but I am a teacher and I am currently on Thanksgiving break. Time off really messes with me. I feel like I have taken so many steps backwards with the time off and just want to get back to work. I am currently looking for a new medicine provider and might consider finding another therapist. Thank you so much for your help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.