Difficulty flexing wrist after second surgery

Posted , 1 user is following.

55, male here. Nearly 9 months ago I fell down the stairs and broke my wrist. It was my right wrist, distal fracture, along with a displacement to the right. I needed surgery, and the wrist was realigned and three pins were inserted. Months after surgery I was able to make a fist, but could only flex my wrist upward from the horizontal by about 40°, but was able to flex downward fairly close to normal. From the handshake position, I was able to rotate my wrist fairly well clockwise to a nearly flat position. More limited movement counterclockwise. Some movement caused a lot of pain on the right side of my wrist, which the surgeon attributed to ulnar carpal syndrome. My forearm and hand were not aligned properly, as the surgeon said my hand cradled downward as he put it. Still, I had a good degree of functionality, but was very concerned about the limitations on flexing my wrist upward. I was concerned that if I had a fall I could easily break my wrist again.

About five months after the initial injury, I consulted with my surgeon, we decided a second surgery would help me gain range of motion. I had the second surgery at the beginning of March. The surgeon had to break my wrist, use cadaver bone, used a plate and screws, and performed carpal tunnel surgery at the same time. He was able to screw in the bottom part of the plate, but not the top he told me, but that the top of the plate and two pins would help keep everything in place. I had the pins removed on April 25 and have started therapy but I am a bit discouraged. It is important to note that the day I had the pins removed, I had several x-rays and he told me the x-rays looked good.

I realize it’s early, but I am having difficulty bending my fingers, and my thumb is still very numb and difficult to bend. I can only touch my thumb to my index and middle fingers at this time. What concerns me the most however is that I cannot seem to flex my wrist very much upward or downward. When I try to flex it downward, it feels as if movement is blocked by something solid. I cannot seem to move it upward very much, all this from a horizontal position, palm facing downward. I am concerned that this will not improved and that I lost the mobility I had gained after the first surgery. I am going to physiotherapy, doing my exercises, and trying to keep positive.

for those of you who have suffered a severe wrist fracture, and possibly a second surgery, what was your experience? What are the options to regain mobility after two surgeries? Again, I realize it has only been a week since the pins were removed, and there is still a lot of healing to do, but I am just feeling a bit discouraged. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.