Difficulty in swallowing and poor appetite, been diagnosed as having acid reflux

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion


I am 32 year old female residing in UK. I am of Indian origin. For past many years I've been of good health. I never had any underlying medical conditions.

Approximately three weeks back I was eating Pasta [supermarket brand ready to eat variety] when all of a sudden a piece of pasta go stuck in my throat and I started to choke. I patted my neck region and tried to cough out the piece of pasta but nothing happened immediately. This went on for about 30 seconds or so. During this time I had difficulty in breathing. I also had palpitations. My neck felt stiff. With great difficulty I managed to swallow the piece of pasta and I felt relieved. I could breathe normally. But I felt very strained, fearful and anxious. I then tried to drink water but noticed I had difficulty in swallowing and couldnt drink water in a gulp and had to take it in small sips. I didnt eat anything all day after this. Then again in evening I felt a choking sensation in throat which lasted for around 10 seconds. It got relived as I patted my throat and tried to clear my throat. I didnt immediately consider going to the GP as I hoped I will feel better next day. Moreover it was the weekend [my gp is available during weekdays only]. In the tree days after this attack I had difficulty in swallowing [even water], throat felt stiff, no appetite, overall felt weak. I didnt have any fever, stomach pain, nausea, palpitations. I met my gp three days later after this incident. My GP felt I had an acid reflux problem due to which this happened. On the day this happened acid reflux travelled in through my easophagus and as I was trying to eat the pasta the choking took place. My GP felt I could have an acid reflux problem and prescribed omeprazole [20mg] once a day for a month and peptac antacid syrup [thrice a day - could be stopped if needed]. My GP gave me a physical check up, viewed my ear and throat, checked my pulse and gp and felt there was nothing wrong with me. MY GP also asked me to get my blood tested [FBC, Urea & Creatine, thyroid function, HBA1C]. I gave my blood sample for testing. I then started taking omeprezole and peptac from next day itself. Over a week passed. I only noticed minor improvement. I still had difficulty swallowing, very poor food intake [i had small amount of home made fruit juice - non citrusy, in morning and rice and dal for lunch, Clear soup at night]. I have been avoiding spicy food, citrusy food etc. I felt weak and depressed. I went and met my gp again. MY blood test reports had come by then and all them came out normal. My gp asked me to continue taking omeprezole till entire course is completed. 

Three weeks have passed since I had the choking incident. I am still having difficulty in swallowing, stiffness in neck, very poor food intake, feeling very weak and depressed, fatigued, lack of energy, difficulty in breathing [occassionally], bloating in stomach, burping. I am not having any fevers, palpitations, body pain, stomach pain or any sort of life threatening conditions. My sleep is normal [no insomnia] but my daily life has got so much  effected. I lack energy, unable to eat and feeling super depressed.

I want to know whether my condition is really of acid reflux or is is something else? Have any of you experienced anything similar and if so how long did it take for you to recover.

Any replies higly appreciated

1 like, 4 replies


4 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi komal alot of your symptoms I have had and am still having including not swallowing properly . I'm on omeprozole and gaviscon . It definately sounds like reflux but could be silent reflux or lpr as it's called . Get your doctor to book u a ent appointment and they will tell you for sure as they use a small scope to look down your throat and can see anything to do with acids etc

    • Posted

      How is it going with your reflux since we last chatted? I have my ups and downs, i tried Apple cider vinegar yesterday afternoon and this morning and all i can say is NO - i woke up several times early hours this morning not been able to swallow and normally i take Mayogel suspension (excellent stuff and cheap), but wasn't working as it should as i probably took it three times in my sleep before i finally managed to fall back to sleep properly. Another lady suggested luke warm water twice a day and so i'm going to see how that goes. 


Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up