Difficulty losing weight after cholecystectomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Before I had my gallbladder removed I was overweight. This was weight that had slowly crept on over the years, yet I'd not changed my diet. I've always eaten relatively healthily, avoiding fats, sugar and salt. I was even vegetarian for fifteen years.

People, especially doctors, assume that because you're overweight you spend your days sitting on a sofa eating pies, chips, chocolate, pizza, cakes etc. This was not the case for me. I ate these things rarely or not at all. I see people tucking into huge fried breakfasts and wonder how they haven't got gallstones?

I first took ill in July 2016 but was misdiagnosed. Over the summer I determined to get to a healthy weight following watching a TV documentary on diabetes. I was losing weight at a steady 1-1.5 lbs a week, eating 1300 calories. In September I was finally diagnosed with gallstones and recommended by the surgeon to eat low fat. I continued to lose weight steadily eating around 1300 calories a day.

I had my gallbladder out in February followed by a liver resection five weeks later because they found cancer in my gallbladder (T1, N0, M0). The weight loss since the resection has slowed (only about 5 lbs and I am now 12 weeks post op). Bear in mind I spent some of this time nil by mouth and with a considerably reduced appetite. My daughter (nurse) has a theory that the liver makes the body hang onto calories in order to recover. Could this be the case?

I also am wondering, and I know doctors refute this, if a sick gallbladder can actually be the cause of weight gain? It just seems odd that the gallbladder aids the digestion of fat, so does a sick gallbladder cause fat to be stored? It would explain so much in my case.

I should also say I am a 67 year old female and generally otherwise healthy. I have mild asthma for which I have inhalers and I take Omeprazole which was prescribed by the hospital. I no longer need to take my meds for high BP. This is probably due to having lost 3.5 stones. I am reasonabley active and able to walk long distances and do housework, gardening etc with no problems, other than having to avoid lifting heavy things due to my surgery.

I would be interested to hear the experience of other sufferers.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I found I had gained weight over the last yr before diagnosis and I was eating 90% paleo for many years, so lots of good healthy fats. When my symptoms started and gallstones diagnosed I started ox bile and digestive enzymes, i still eat healthy fats as they are essential to the body and low fat doesnt help you loose fat in all the research I have done. I did cut most starches out though and all dairy and gluten as they caused symptoms, along with the digestion aids I have lost 14kg in 6 mths  and struggle to keep it on, even eating dark chocolate and corn chips!

I think the gallbladder can cause weight loss or gain due to the fault in the digestive system, eating healthy fats but cutting starches, gluten  and dairy ( didnt eat much dairy/gluten anyway) and taking the digestive aids has given help to my digestive system and minimized my symptoms and stopped weight gain, infact caused the opposite, so maybe worth looking at?.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.

Think I'm a bit cautious about taking stuff like ox bile. Nobody at hospital mentioned anything about them and surely they would have if it's medically proven?

However I will ask some doctors I know if they think I'd benefit.

• Posted

not sure why its moderating my reply! dont want to type it out all again lol ox bile is well known in the natural community, check out the liver dr who is well known and respected in her field, many searches will show you how it helps, but totally your choice. drs certainly dont know everything and it has helped LOTS of people.

For one Drs recommend low fat or no fat with no gallbladder, such bad advice as fat is essential for hormones and our health and vitamins!

• Posted

Many thanks. I will check it out. Just naturally cautious.
    • Posted

yeah I know, me too. I truley believe in Natural as well as westen medicine and have researched thoroughlybefore I consume anything smile It seems a common thing to take though for when you have a malfunctioning or no gallbladder smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.