Difficulty Swallowing

Posted , 4 users are following.

Background: 18 yo, Male, 5'7", 132 lbs, Black

Medical History: allergy to dairy and milk proteins, deviated septum, anxiety

Medications: 40mg omeprazole for 2 weeks, Flonase daily for 1 month, Zyrtec daily for 1 week

I have had difficulty swallowing for about two months. I feel like i have to put force into swallowing food. Also, once it goes down, it feels like the food gets stuck in my throat and chest. The more i eat, the tighter my throat feels. Because of how hard it is to eat solid foods, i am on a primarily liquid diet set up by a nutritionist. Besides this, I also have constant chest pain, abdominal pain (like solar plexus to groin where it hurts when any pressure is applied), and nausea. I also burp a lot and sometimes regurgitate acidity liquid into my mouth. I also feel bloated and gassy in my stomach after eating. Also my mouth constantly stings and my teeth are really sensitive when I’m eating. I had a barium swallow which showed nothing. I also had an endoscopy w/ biopsy, which showed gastritis, peptic duodenitis, and a 2cm hiatial hernia. After this my doc put me on 40mg omeprazole, which I feel helped initially but now the improvement has plateaued. I have also done blood work for seemingly everything, and all of it is ok. Doctors still don’t know what’s going on, any ideas here?

Also I feel exhausted every day after walking up, and sore. I feel worse than I do at night most of the time. But I am getting a lot more rest than I ever have, like 8-10 a lot of nights. Also I feel like I have brain fog and just slow. Could this be related?  

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kirkland, so sorry you're suffering! I also have experienced or still experiencing many of the symptoms you have and also tried all of the drugs you are using..I stopped taking them as they did not improve my symptoms...have you been tested for mono or epstein barr virus? I, along with many others on here are suffering from it and it rears its ugly head in many ways throughout ones body...my mouth and teeth have never stopped hurting from the onset of mono in november 2017..in the beginning I woke every morning with a lump in my throat and cud hardly swallow my pills..that has improved but my stomach is still bothering me and i am having endoscopy and colonoscopy tomorrow..I also have severe brain fog and so very weak in legs and arms and had very bad anxiety in the beginning which is alittle better now but the dr thought the lump in my throat cud be caused by anxiety..if you haven't been tested may be something to check into..sure hope you find a solution and feel better very soon!

• Posted

Thanks for replying. I hope they figure out whats wrong through the endoscopy and colonoscopy and you feel better. I think we have tested for mono and the EBV, but I will reach out to my doctor to make sure we have. Let me know what is causing your issues when you figure it out, it may be able to help me too!
  • Posted

I also hope you were tested for h pylori..I know it also can cause many of your symtoms. Good luck! Lecasco
    • Posted

Hi Lecasco,

Thanks for the response. They did test for h pylori during the biopsy after the endoscopy, but it came back negative.

• Posted

Your gastritis, peptic duodenitis and hiatus hernia are your diagnoses.  I would concentrate on treating and managing these conditions. 
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. My doctor has not explained how to manage or treat those diagnoses, and the only thing he has done is raised the dosage of my omeprazole from 20mg to 40mg. I will ask him for more avenues of treatment, but otherwise, how do you think I could best manage these symptoms. Atm, I can barely swallow solid foods and I am on a pretty much liquid diet, and I would love to figure out a way to eat solid foods regularly again.
    • Posted

With gastritis, the advice is to avoid spicy, fatty and rich foods and to eat blandly.  Have you ever tried a food diary?
  • Posted

Did you do HIDA scan and ultrasound for gallbladder? If not please do so.
    • Posted

Thanks for your suggestion. We did not do a HIDA scan or ultrasound for the gallbladder, but I will bring up with my doctor ASAP, to see if it is the cause of my issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.