Difficulty with expressing thought

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone found it harder to express themselves when talking since peri symptoms started? Lately I find myself struggling. Like, I know what I want to say but my words get jumbled. It's frustrating! It may be due to the fact that I don't get sleep. My one year old still wakes up several times throughout the night.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I can relate big time! I'm studying at the moment and have lots of homework but whilst I can answer it in my head trying to put it to paper is awful I'm actually behind schedule! It's driving me mad. My LO still wakes us up during the night and I do get tired but I used to write system procedures for work and never had this problem before! I'm just trying to write it down as I think of it and then re write it! 
    • Posted

Probably It's due to our sleep being interrupted. Hopefully, it will get better. I call it, "mommy brain." Lol!
  • Posted

Yes, that is very common and unfortunately much more so at menopause.  I was never at a loss to find words or to have an excellent memory, but peri/meno has affected it.  Acupuncture and estrogen has helped.  It was appalling before that!

maybe try a course of acupuncture, herbs or Estrogen and that may help.  Good luck!

• Posted

I lose vocabulary words... cry
    • Posted

I can totally relate. I think, now what's wrong with me? It's ironic because I have a Bachelor's in Speech therapy of all things. I can't be losing control of my words. Lol! :-)
  • Posted

Have you tried giving a warm milk with alittle baby cearal make sure the nipple on top is alittle bigger tht might make the baby sleep longer

• Posted

Definately Mummy Brain.  Don't worry this makes it worse.  You will return to normal in a few years.  In the meantime try as has already been said  just write down what you think then go back over it correcting as you go.  I found I could rewrite letters 2 or 3 times.  I started even reading them again the next day when I felt less stressed and I could see more errors.  Be kind to yourself.
  • Posted

oh how i can relate to this, i feel as if i can't remember what i'm trying to put across in the middle of a conversation, i can't recall peoples names, i get jumbled up with words too and i have a very responsible job at work running an office but you wouldn't believe it at times when i struggles some days and feel i'v gone a lot quieter. Even typing on the computer or reading letters i find i get jumbled.  I sometimes say the wrong would which could be funny to someone else but i find it embarassing and feel a fool.  I can understand you will be tired being woken several times so that may be a contributor to your jumleness in fact i don't know how you do it going through peri and having a baby, well done to you hun. sending you a comforting hug x
    • Posted

Thank you for the hug. Yeah, I started with kids late in life. Had my son at 35 and my daughter last year at 39. I started having  peri symptoms after I had him...didn't realize what was happening at the time. 

Then my daughter came as a surprise because I had thought my cycle had stopped but I was pregnant. But since I've had her the symptoms came even stronger. So I think this is it for me. 

• Posted

Yes, it is a very frustrating! I have always been very confident and @ ease talking in front of large crowds. My job as an operations manager for a large corporation always required me to be in front of, and speaking to a lot of people. I wrote policies and procedures, etc. Never had any issues. I took early retirement after 30 years. I am 52 years old, and now find myself struggling @ times to concentrate on the simplest of task. At times I feel like I cannot even finish a conversation, and have a hard time staying focused on what someone is telling me. It is like I hear them talking, however, not retaining anything they're telling me. Makes me feel very insecure! Ugh!!!! 
    • Posted

I know how you feel. I have to speak in front of people too. It does make you feel insecure. I feel like I'm coming undone right in front of them.
  • Posted

Hi ladies,

I, too, am really struggling with articulation, concentration and memory! When talking to my husband I often give up trying to find the right word for something and just say the first word that is trying to come out! It's a wonder he hasn't had me sectioned for insanity, such are the weird things I come out with!

My parents are in their 80's and are much more coherent than I am, at almost 50! I'm still in the early stages of peri...regular periods that seem to be lasting about 10 days. Experiencing night sweats more and more - could barely sleep last night, even with a fan blowing constantly. I also seem to be getting more anxious about things. At the moment my mind is suffering more than my body, and, before I discovered these forums, I was becoming convinced I was showing signs of early Altzheimers.

I used to have a wide vocabulary of which I was proud - but these days it's pitiful! It's good to see I am not alone - especially when a woman I know recently told me she went through the menopause aged about 46 and suffered no ill effects and couldn't see what all the fuss is about - all a load of over-hyped rubbish! At the same event I made a new friend - partly by comparing notes on our similar symptoms!

We "normal" ladies need to stick together! Big hugs to all x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.