Digestion issues continue after gallbladder removal.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 27 year old female that was diagnosed with Biliary Dyskinesia, no gallstones present, after 7 months of repeated attacks of gastritis, heartburn, extreme nausea, weight loss, constipation and yellow stool. I didn't had any gallbladder pain until the last week leading up to my diagnosis and surgery. My surgery took place about 2 and a half months ago and I felt great until recently.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed I was having trouble digesting chicken, plain white meat chicken. I will get heartburn when I eat it even if it's plain. Within the last week I've started to have intense burning and cramping where my gallbladder used to be and it gets worse when I eat. This feeling will last for hours and is almost always there.

I'm trying to get an appointment with my gastroenterologist and my surgeon, but in the meantime I wanted to see if anyone here has experienced the same things? I am starting to feel like my gallbladder wasn't the only problem or was a symptom of a bigger problem, such as an autoimmune disease. I am a generally healthy individual and I rarely eat anything fatty, fried, spicy and I no longer drink alcohol because of these problems.

Thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Same diagnosis and symptoms 2 months post surgery.  I'm having major pain and attacks as if it was a gallbladder attack. My surgeon keeps telling me it just takes time but the attacks are bad lately even without trying to eat any fat.  

• Posted

Maybe you need to cleanse your body every morning. Eat yogurt with banana in the morning. Or try a cleanse of Apple cider vinegar too. It will help heal your body.
    • Posted

Thank you for this suggestion. I have been drinking Kombucha for a few months with some results, but I haven't tried apple cider vinegar. Do you recommend a specific serving?

• Posted

You might want to try this Monday drink a tablespoon straight from bottle. Make sure it is organic. Tuesday mix a tablespoon to a cup of warm apple juice organic also. Either one works good. You should feel cider going down your esophagus to your stomach. It feels weird but you know it's working. Good Luck.

• Posted

Hi there, I am just wondering if my problems may be related to yours, I have recently(within the last month) had my GB taken out for the same reasons, constant pain, nausea and unpleasant yellow smelly stools. It transpired that my gb function was low so out it came.  I have only just started to introduce some meat back into my diet, small amount of plain chicken with a baked potato and salad, and boom back to square one with the exact symptoms as before my op.  I also have suffered a bit of excess sweat after eating since the op which I don't know if relevant. I am pretty good with my diet and have eaten low fat for a long time, no dairy and very little gluten.

• Posted

It sounds very similar. I have been doing some research on my family history and I am thinking all these symptoms may be related to an autoimmune problem, specifically with the thyroid. Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s Disease can cause issues with the digestive system such as slowing down the whole process, causing low stomach acid and interrupting enzyme and bile release. 

I am seeing my doctor this week and I will report back if I get a different diagnosis than just biliary dyskinesia. I urge you to do the same and speak with any living family members about autoimmune problems in your family.

• Posted

I just want to give an update on my condition in the hopes it will help someone else. I finally have a diagnosis on my condition and I have severe gastroparesis. Basically my stomach is paralyzed and I have a hard time digesting anything hard to digest such as fatty foods or high fiber foods. Apparently this condition can go along with biliary dyskinesia.

My diagnosis came after having a gastric emptying study, where you eat eggs with a radioactive tracer in them and pictures are taken of your stomach over 4 hours.

I urge anyone with symptoms similar to mine to ask your gastroenterologist about this condition and if it may be a possibility. There is medication that can treat it along with careful management of your diet. I just found out today, so I haven’t taken medication yet but I will report back with any other helpful information.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.