Digestive enzymes and probiotics?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey guys. I've been asking some questions here lately and hope I can get more input. For those of you that have had your gallbladder out, have any of you had digestive issues after and has your gastro or primary doctor suggested digestive enzymes and probiotics or just one of them? If so, have they helped? I've had mine removed last month and it's been difficult. I can't eat properly, my stomach just feels tight and if I eat too much it hurts and I feel sick. Feel as If I'm constantly nauseous and I don't have an appetite really. I was thinking if the enzymes will help me or the probiotics? Do they have side effects or no? I dont have diarreah by the way, just loose stools sometimes not regular. Does any one here have symptoms like me? Thanks guys.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry your having that problem I had my gallbladder removed 2015 and here Iam just had appt with yet another GI doctor....my pain hasn't left yet my bloating and fullness is still a big factor..I tried probiotics but they made me feel worse so I stopped taking them.. i feel nauseous sometimes but not as much..My eating habits vary from day to day and most of the time Iam constipated.. but I have found that when I have the pain where my gallbladder use to be I wrap a ace bandage around my waist to apply pressure where it hurts it usually helps. My whole life has changed never mind everyone telling you you should be feeling better by now.... so I decided no more invasive test because they never find anything with me I just live the best I can.. as you can see you are not alone hang in there may peace be with you my friend

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Have you lost weight by any chance and do you manage to have small meals by the way? Also, do you get full very easily or no? I do. Then feel sick after eating and I'm not sure why.. I hate feeling like this I feel terrible and I'm so underweight because of lack of eating due to nausea and fullness.

• Posted

I don't have pain where my gallbladder used to be anymore and how did the probiotics make you feel if you don't mind me asking? Oh and have you tried digestive enzymes by any chance?

• Posted

Hi they made my mouth really dry, and really nauseous..and sometimes confused
    • Posted

Really? I haven't heard of those side effects. Hopefully when I take them I don't get that as I'm hoping they will help me. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Forgot to ask how you deal with fullness by the way? Is it tolerable?
    • Posted

The fullness hurts like hell it immobilizes me sometimes. It's like I can feel it happening it starts at the bottom of my stomach and I can feel it rising to the top if that makes sense really bad pain sometimes it passes and sometimes I take a Zantac it helps. But my appetite is screwed up I dont enjoy food like I use to which sucks I don't know what to eat anymore and when i do figure it out I can only eat a little then away the plate goes for later but funny enough I am not losing weight go figure

• Posted

When I get full I get nauseous and stuff, it's not good either. And my stomach slightly hurts as it feels stretched out. Do you get nauseous too and oh do you manage to have three meals at least even if small? How about Taking in liquids? I honestly feel like I can't each much as I feel stuffed. Which is why I'm loosing weight I think. Sometimes I take gas x and it helps a bit also.

• Posted

Hi Deesan

It's still early days yet, but I've suffered terribly since having mine removed. Every two weeks, sometimes 3 if I'm lucky. I get diarrhoea which lasts 24 hours, followed by foul egg smelling burps, then 24hours of vomiting. No one can tell me why. Just that it takes up to 12 months to settle. I'm two weeks away from a year after surgery.

Hope your problems settle soon. But do try anything which may help.

Best of luck. Claire. X

• Posted

That sounds terrible. Do you usually end up in the hospital due to dehydration? Because I'm sure the vomiting does no good.. or the diarreah. I'm sorry you're going through this. Do you take anything when this happens? I hope you get relief soon as so I.

• Posted

Thank you, no I just have to ride it out. I've tried anti sickness tablets. But they just prolong it.

My local hospital, were useless even when when I had gallbladder flare ups.

They just fob me off. I've been ill with it all day today. But I ate some biscuits. Which I shouldn't of done.

Worse of all is the pain, it's no different to the pain before I had the thing out.

I guess it's just trial and error. Just gets you down though.

You take care. X

• Posted

I'm so sorry you are going through this really 😣. Do you have any other stomach issues or just the diarreah currently and throwing up? The problem with me is the fullness pressure feeling and nausea. I've been nauseous for so long It's normal to feel like this already honestly. How are Your eating habits by the way; do you manage to eat when you don't get this way anymore?

• Posted

Hi I've had my gall bladder out 2weeks ago and was suffering bad with bloating, gas, burping and constipation. I could hardly bend I had that much bloating! And it was sooo uncomfortable. But I have had an appetite and have not been feeling sick but I've only been eating low fat small meals. I was recommended to take high strength probiotics daily

Digestive enzymes (lamberts digestizyme) before each meal and slippery elm before bed. I can't believe the difference! I wouldn't say it's helped my constipation but my tummy is now deflated and I can eat food but I'm still eating low fat. It has been recommended to me to try lecthin to help with eating more high fat foods to help break down/emulsify the fat so if anyone has any advise I'd be greatfull! Hope this helps as it's helped me! :-)

• Posted

Hi Deegan,

I had mine out 6/2015 after 9 months of agony until I found a doctor that would do "exploratory" surgery and when he saw my GB it was too far gone. Unfortunately, I am one of the 5% to get SODD type 3 after cholecystectomy. I still have the same issues I did before surgery, however, the pain under my rib isn't quite as bad because the diseased organ is gone. However, the pain is constant and worsens with activity, especially a lot of bending and certain foods. I HAVE found that once I stopped taking Omeprezole my appetite started to come back and the fullness lessened. I have also found that small frequent , bland meals are best. Pork is a big No No. I have tried the enzymes, they seem to help but make my mouth dry and pasty. The probiotics help with the bloating and constipation from the pain meds.I also try to drink detox tea 1-2 / month to help the sphincter stay open and not overworked.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry to too have to endure this agony. I hope your fate turns out better than mine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.