Digestive issues

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I had my gallbladder removed almost 3 months ago and I was doing pretty well until recently. It seems like no matter what I eat, I have digestive issues. Because of the issues I have lost 14 pounds since May when I found out I had gallstones. Now for anyone 14 pounds is a lot for but with how I thin I am, I am now considered underweight. I have had suggestions to see a dietitian but it is surprisly hard to find one that is covered under my insurance. Do anyone have any advice of what I could do? Do you think I should start by going to my primary physican and see what they say? Or keep trying to find a dietitian in the area? I've come to the point where I just do not know what to do about it. I would appreciate sone advice.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I lost 25lbs. After the surgery I had diarrhea for 1yr.

Then it slowly evened out, but I still ovcasionally get sick if I eat rich food.

You have to watch the fat, carbs are ok. I think you will be thin all your life now as hard to properly digest everything.

• Posted

Hi sneis1 when I was first told I had gallstones In February (when after the scan a few months later revealed it was only 1 stone but very big and needed surgery) and several weeks later when I saw the consultant I was informed to avoid certain foods no dairy products at all, no pork and if I wanted to eat sweets/candy only hard candy this was a big change but I did, like you I have lost 2 stone is weight and had my gallbladder removed 10 days ago and now I only drink peppermint tea which helps my tummy as still affects my digestive system but was informed this could take up to 6 months till back to normal....hope this helps you
  • Posted

hi there 

Well I'm not sure if your digective issues are related to the gallbladder surgery as long as you are healthy, check your diet like dairy products and fat and if your bowel movement is compromized maybe you have bacteria that is causing you indigestions I mean I am no Dr. but I think you should check all aspects, I personally know a patient that had her gallbladder removed but no matter what she eats she's healthy, I think you should watch over your digestive system as a whole and not just put the gallbladder in the picture, get  some tests done and if you had to visit a dietitian maybe your insurance dosen't cover but your health is worthy every penny

Good luck and get well soon 

• Posted

I would maybe go back to a general practioner (docotr) and see what they say.

A lot of this is just a question of trial and error.

Some people are fine with spicy food others are not.

Hope this helps

Sarah

• Posted

Did you see a doctor already?

You really did lose a lot! Do you know friends who are dietitian? Try ask him/her for free.smile

In my opinion, Try to see a doctor first, then just decide to see a dietitian after it.

How about your food diet? What foods your avoiding?

Hope you'll get better soon!

Katherine

• Posted

Thank you everyone! I had messaged my doctor asking for suggestions and he gave me some but he still wants me to see him and get some blood tests. Hopefully everything is fine!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.