Digestive issues during peri

Posted , 20 users are following.

Has anyone developed digestive issues once they hit the big 4-0? I turned 40 in January and I just had a c-section a year ago when I delivered my daughter. I have been having indigestion/heartburn issues during my cycle and alternate between runny BM's to constipation during my cycle. Never had these issues in my earlier menstrual years and certainly not before the c-section. I know I am in perimenopause because of the other symptoms that I experience which include: dizziness, irregular cycle, heart palpitations, anxiety, weakness, depression, tired muscles, weight fluctuations, etc. Has anyone had some of these issues at or around the time they hit 40?

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Again

yes, we discussed this on another post..

i have digestive probs, for all my peri years, from constipation to cant get to loo fast enough like water... its awful ... quite common too, its not iBS or celiac with me, just peri matters with me..  still like it ... 😦 Jay xx

• Posted

Is there anything to help with these issues or do we just have to not grin and bear it? Lol! At least I know I am not going crazy. I have been running to the doctor at the drop of a hat for every little thing. I know they are avoiding me at this point because a few times they have cancelled appointments on me as if to say, "oh Lord, here she comes again! What's wrong with her now?" But I am new to these mid-life changes and no one prepared me for it. It is distressing to sudddenly be experiencing these things and you don't know what's wrong with you. I was supposed to see my period yesterday but it is late. I don't think I am pregnant. I wonder if I am starting to skip periods?
    • Posted

Hi Jay,

How are you hun? Still good I hope!!

I got a little stressed last Friday evening and have felt out of source since and when this happens it effects my digestive symptom. I have been prescribe tablets to take daily which I do first thing in the morning. Even though I chose to go on HRT approx 3.5 months ago I am still getting my moments from feeling a little low (no where near as bad as last year and I think this may be when I get stressed over something).

I went to see a male GP this morning (possibly a mistake)  as I am still suffering with my sinus and wake up most mornings feeling really stuffy and blocked! Tried to explain to him what I have experienced over the past 20 months and said that I have had all my bloods done and I paid to have an advance health check with Bupa to make sure I had a larger range of bloods tested, thankfully all came back ok.

When I mentioned that I feel this is another thing that I am experiencing due to the time of my life as I had never experienced anxiety prior to my first visit to him 20 months ago, he kept saying that there must be an underlying reason why I seem to start worrying over things regarding my health. Was told not to keep blaming my hormones for these experiences!! Well not what I really wanted to hear as we talked about my digestion problems aswell and have said that I still get times that even though I am taking these tablets that I feel a little off with my food ie loss of appetite, windy tummy etc - advised me to double my dose for 2 weeks and if things settle down then go back to my normal dose. Regarding my sinuses I was given another spray to try and was told to take along side with an allergy tablet again for 2 weeks. He was certainly thorough in his check but I went away feeling that there must be something more wrong than just digestion etc as he mentioned if I end up vomiting then to come back.  I do sometimes get sick if I work myself up or suffer with catarh in my throat, but generally not connected to do with what I have just eaten.

Why have i come away worrying again?? Even mentioned that I had experience a funny taste in my mouth or a burning sensation or sometimes a metallic taste in my mouth, was told straight dont know why that could be and made a few suggestions on how to get rid of it!! Feeling a little flat and have been a little tearful today. Was told by my normal female GP when I last visited her that my body is still producing hormones along side me taking the HRT so may expect these blips so why dont I feel this is the case now! Massive hugs sweetie xxx

• Posted

hi Sharcerv

oh bless you, well I just live with the digestive disturbance, i dont worry about it ... i eat very well, i dont smoke, or drink, and living in Spain eat lots of salads etc and fish, i am just 50 years old, and I am not overweight either, infact since B6 i have lost 7lbs aswell so feeling really good.. 

i dont worry about the digestive it just seems to be me right now, on the odd time its normal i am amazed 😀 ... laffin as the other night my daughter was here visiting and we had some licorice alsorts OMG next morning ... needed my trainers 😮 haha its only once a day, never all through the day when its like that, next day it can be fine.. all odd.. cant eat dippy eggs now they do affect me, but hard boiled in a salad i am fine, but i always had senstive digestive .. avoid spicy foods etc.. so its just me... I eat almonds too as they good for you the natural ones and bulk you up, but still happens..

Jay xx

• Posted

Hi Snatchpiece 😀

come on chin up... your just having a tearful emotionally day, so let the emotions have their day... i rememeber me only a few months ago, sat having sunday lunch and chatting, then sat sobbing.. blimey... i went through that alot last year and at worst beginning of this, up to about April, my son mentioned it other day, he said what was wrong with you a while ago, he said I only had to look at you wrong and you cried.. its true i was a right old mess, it does get better hun..

i think we feel low when we go to the doctors as we think we will get some understanding but it doesnt happen alot .. so we go all eager and leave all fed up... it was only a few months ago i was low, didnt want to see anyone, anxious, wouldnt go out alone, ached all over, nose would stream like a tap out the blue, but thats stopped.. all seemed to stop after B6 .. very odd I know... think my hormones must have settled abit now too, as no period for 11 months and no PMT and no period now that I recognise.. use to get the PMT and emotional and feel low for a few days each month then it passed, but doesnt seem to happen now.. my partner works overseas so always alone and seem to cope with that ok, suppose i could get fed up but I feel fine ... and you will too.. .. hugs hun Jay xx

• Posted

i forgot.. the metallic taste, i get that too, even went to dentist  to have teeth checked, also my teeth can ache too, sensitive ... just on one side never the other side... and i had loads of root canals and still they ache ... whats that about 😀 holy moly... 

Jay xx

• Posted

Hiya Jay,

i know I am just having a feeling sorry for myself day and truly appreciated you telling me this and this reminds me that I am loads better than I gave been since all of this started! ! I think you are right about your hormones finally levelling out at long last you sure deserve this rest bite!! 

I started taking my Busy B bits since Feb 13 and have only recently increased the B6 to 200 mg per day! 

I think a lot of mine over the last few days has been down to stressful people I gave currently have around me which I am trying to a distant from!

I find my digestive problems more sensitive when my stress levels are effected! 

I currently taking my menopol plus x 2 per day, Vit D x1, Magnesium spray both morning and evening, Busy B x 1 per day, B6 100mg x1 per day! Was taking starflower oil capsules until last week as didn't know if this was still useful to take a long with the other tablets. Mustn't forget my HRT low dose!,

i just want my old life back where I can be cheeky and loads of fun to have a round! One thing I haven't mentioned that I do at the end od working day to help me to switch off is whilst I am waiting for our dinner to cook I pour myself a glass of wine and I sit and watch my program's and have a small bowl of nibbles (bowl of crisps) to help me to switch off from my very stressful day! I do find that this does help but I only have two glasses at the most! Thanks for always sharing such FAB advice I truly appreciate your friendship which you have shown! loads of hugs Jay xxx

• Posted

I certainly have days like that too. Onwards and upwards as they say x
    • Posted

My life has always been stressful and have always coped but sadly in recent years not only do we run our business from home we have some people working for us with some major issues and we are going through major house renovations as well so I guess a lot of friends have asked both my husband and I how we cope with all what is going on around us! But we have always managed to keep smiling and think tomorrow is another day! Since Nov 2012 I feel that I have found it harder to keep going and to carry others peoples problems!! I feel I need that someone to think of someone other than themselvess for a change! I am lucky though as my husband is so wonderful and now knows when I am having one of those days and gives me loads of hugs and keep reminding me this will eventually go away ! I guess it's all about learning on what works for you! Xxx
    • Posted

Hi Snatchpiece..

yes stress can make it all worse, especially annoying people, you just want to hide away from them dont you... i started my menapol plus i take two in the morning, but i dont have HRT... also Vit d3 and calcium mix ( Natecal) they are good you just chew them... and of course my B6 150mg amongst other  things.. think I will get probiotics again too... I havent been on menapol plus long still on first pot, mind you i have ordered more but i see they in a blister pack now, I only get 120 at a time, but they are certainly cheaper than the estroven max i had for years.. and I feel okay on menapol plus.. got mine off amazon uk free delivery too, and partner brings them over when he comes back... i got free vit C with last lot, that was nice.. taking that too 😃

still having a couple of hot flushes 😳 but not as many as I was, weird how they stopped for years then came back with such force when i stopped the magnesium, i just share it when i go out, i say OMG I am having a hotty, one guy gave me a spanish fan the other night to put in my handbag. hahahahah it was funny... mind you its very hot here too... thanks for the kind words, I am always here if you need to vent 😳 hehehehehe Jay xxxx

• Posted

snatchpiece...

oh thats lovely... bless... support is so important... 

my other half doesnt really understand it all, hes a quiet one, so i have to keep reminding him 😀😀😃😃 only joking... hes good but doesnt know what to say about it.. where as I am a person who likes to talk openly..

like you say we find our own way ... tomorrow is another day.. 😃 and dont carry other peoples problems so much its time for you to switch off abit now and have some you time... easier said than done i know... i tend to listen now but dont listen when I dont want to know... 😃 i just pray they dont ask me questions, or I have to say ' run that by me again' 

take care Jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jayneejay

What kind of digestion issues did you have? As for me, i feel twinges in my stomach, and when i have a bowel move it still feels like i want to use.it. (Incomplete ) Also lower back pressure. This feeling is there all day, it is so irritating. I know before I was this way.the dr. said i was constipated. What is vitamin b6 for?

• Posted

Hi Sharcerv

I feel your pain with digestive issues. The odd and frequent dizziness and anxity. It is all new to me as well. Talking and discussing had been a wonder feeling.

• Posted

Hi, I had my last baby at 40 and whilst I always had digestive issues my problems really went into overdrive around 46 , more or less what you describe here (i'm 51 now). Check out the other threads on here where we discuss diet it may help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.