Digestive issues during peri

Posted , 20 users are following.

Has anyone developed digestive issues once they hit the big 4-0? I turned 40 in January and I just had a c-section a year ago when I delivered my daughter. I have been having indigestion/heartburn issues during my cycle and alternate between runny BM's to constipation during my cycle. Never had these issues in my earlier menstrual years and certainly not before the c-section. I know I am in perimenopause because of the other symptoms that I experience which include: dizziness, irregular cycle, heart palpitations, anxiety, weakness, depression, tired muscles, weight fluctuations, etc. Has anyone had some of these issues at or around the time they hit 40?

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes sharcerv52408,

I have been having digestive problems for one year now. I am lactose intolerant and even now, when I drink water, I get the incomfortablitiy and gases. I am 49 years old and had hystrectomy seven years ago though I still have my ovaries. For the past one year apart from the digestive problems, for which I have been given nexium, my body feels upside down as soon as I stress. As I write now, I am having serious breast tenderness, stomach and lower abdominal cramps, hip pains on and off so is back pains sometimes. I don't know how to even describe what is happening to me. Sometimes I feel this lump underneath my right breast as if it's moving down my right hip and am told it's gas. I have had all the tests under the moon from labs, to ultrasound, to endoscopy, x-rays, mri etc. etc. Palpitations on and off for which I have also been given medication. The worst of all this is, I cannot sleep. Have not slept by myself in almost one year so you can imagine what am going through. My husband understands so does my GP and people around me. I have to get someone to do stuff for me cos sometimes, I cannot even get out of bed, it's like your are always fatigued. Anxiety, depression, weight fluctutaitons, palpitations, breast tenderness you name it. Just want you to know you are not in this state alone. We shall all surely cross it when the time is up. Good luck and stay blessed.

• Posted

Hi Celabay

bless you hun, I read your post and blimey it was my peri to a tee what you describe... also you reminded me of another weird thing I had and that was what I can only describe as golf ball throat, it was like a gold ball was stuck in lower throat and that seemed to come and go..

I too had alot of breast tenderness and in my right breast I had a lump just under areola... it did go ... I have improved as mine has gone on, after nine yeats of peri I am pleased... but i do take supplements natural, but still have digestive disturbances..... I use to find that I had PMT ( but no period) each month like you describe, as you say you feel now, it lasted maybe a few days then things picked up again until the following month.. but B6 has eliminated all that for me... ' thank goodness' 

take care hun, Jay xx

• Posted

Thank you for sharing. Yes we are not in this alone. Stay encouraged. God bless!
    • Posted

I am going to try increasing my B6 and B12 vitamin intake and see if that helps me as well. I will keep you posted.
    • Posted

useful snippet of info...

( i take 150mg of B6 every morning have done since April and in as little as a week I felt so much better) no anxiety.. etc.. i also take B12 and many others... also I lost since April 7 or 8 lbs in weight and I was not really iver weight, I had abit of peri muffin tummy, but niw have my waist back 😃

heres useful snippet... i copied for you ladies... it may help you too

Supplementing with vitamin B6 is also a good option during menopause and can provide more rapid relief than diet alone. To avoid an imbalance that can result when one vitamin becomes deficient, use a supplement that contains a full complement of all members of the B-complex family. Doses of 50 to 100 milligrams per day help promote general health and wellness.

***** However, during the stress of menopause, your requirements for B6 may increase to as much as 300 milligrams per day, says Lieberman.

• Posted

Its certainly an uncomfortable journey sister, but we can make it through.
  • Posted

I gave the B6 another go, thrid time in a month, and still I found it made my anxiety worse.  I tried coming off the mirtazapine and using the magnesium oil spray to help with sleep, just used 6 sprays at night, I feel relaxed after using it and fall asleep no problem with it, but was finding I felt even more depressed and anxious the next day.  Looking back over the last 3 months, it was while using magnesium that the worst of my symptoms kicked off, however this could all be coincidence.  For now I am back on the mirtazapine and diazepam, not something I am happy about as would rather go natural, but it's the only way I seem to be coping without anxiety, panic and depression taking over.  I couldn't get out of bed on Monday, so frustrating.  Seems natural things seem to have opposite effect on me sad  I have the digestive issues to, taking omeprozole for it, touch wood that's not been too bad at the moment.  The worst is this inner shaking, like I have swallowed a vibrator on high speed, I was blaming the mirt for that, but I don't know.  It's horrible feeling this way,  Meant to be off to Blackpool in 2 weeks, but looking that will be a no no sad xx
    • Posted

I'm so sorry for the time that you have been having. I hope that you find something soon to help alleviate these terrible symptoms. God bless!
  • Posted

You are definitely not alone with the tummy trouble. I have had issues all along, but they only maginified since I have entered peri, but it is not unusual for issues to get worse or crop up for the first time.

I have had issues with loose stools, constipation, cramping after I ate, you name it! Of course, no tests show anything. Since I began eating Greek yogurt with the lacto bacillius cultures, my problems have lessened to almost nothing! I eat some several times a week, if not everyday. Plus, they have calcium, which we need. Milk products used to really hurt me, but with the yogurt, not so much. My dr. was all about me eating it, too, so I got a green light there! It costs a bit more than regular yogurt, but if it keeps me feeling better without pharmaceuticals, them I'm all for it! I love Oikos brand (not gritty and tastes great!!) , but there are lots of them out there. Hang in there! This blog has been a godsend to me. I couldn't believe how many women all over the world know exactly what I am talking about!! Halleujah!! I'm not crazy after all.

Best to you~

• Posted

Yes I agree wholeheartedly! This website has definitely helped me relax in terms of panicking from all these symptoms. I was literally making appointments going to the doctor every time you turn around. One of my doctors actually started avoiding me, I think. The past couple of times she cancelled on me. But this website has help me "get a grip" on myself and calm down.

I also have older sisters who are in their 40's and are going through the change too. So we compare symptoms. Lol! Like for example, I woke up from my nap feeling really weak and shaky and nausea and with heat flushes. It was terrible!

• Posted

Sorry that I sort of left that last post hanging in the air. I explained what I felt when I woke up to my sister who was able to identify with the same symptoms. So it definitely helps to have people to talk to that are going through the same thing.
  • Posted

What I can think is that your symptoms are quite like mine. I am a 38 year old male. I have frequent acid reflux with hyperacidity as well. Have frequent burps and urgency to go to the restroom frequ3ntly. It can either be constipation or diarrhea. I also had symptoms of lightheadedness, dizziness, and feelings of drunkeness, when I do not even drink alcohol. I believe that you might be suffering from ibs which is irritable bowel syndrome caused by food allergies from common allergens like gluten, soy, dairy products. It can also be caused by small intestinal bacterial overgrowth know as SIBO. I have been getting treatment from ibs treatment centers here in usa. There are only two centers. One is in Seattle , Washington. The other is in Santa Monica, California. People from all over the nation fly here to get treatment if they can afford it. Maybe you might have some centers in your country. I know that they are very good in Taking care of the problem. You can google it to get the information. I hope this can help you and get you completely better. Hope u feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.