Digestive Issues, Poor Appetite

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I been having problems with poor appetite. Ever since menopause I don't have much of an appetite. I try to eat small meals with protein throughout the day. Most days I have no appetite. A lot of foods now cause my symptoms to flare up. I hardly eat sugar and carbs now. I am losing weight because of this. I don't want to lose anymore weight. Maybe I need to start taking probiotics also.

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maria!

I have been going through this off and on since 2014. This is around the time I started going through peri symptoms. It is a worrisome matter. I could've written your post myself. I'm actually experiencing this right now. I seem to be hungry but can't seem to eat like I want to. I've been eating like a bird for almost a week. I have lost a few ounces. I had finally gotten to a weight where I was happy and my weight had started to pick up and then all of a sudden I started having this issue again. It comes and goes. Sometimes my weight is up and sometimes it's down and I'm already a slender person. The biggest part on me are my breasts. I've always had a small waist. I'll be glad when this all tapers off.

• Posted

Me too! I eat very clean, and I'm also thin, so when I started having gallbladder problems it didn't make sense...I guess because I don't for the typical profile...until I read about how estrogen can cause gallbladder problems. Interesting fact I read: it's no coincidence that women get their gb out and a hysterectomy around the same time. So, when I lost weight my bp got really low and I was so tired and looked sick. Soooo, what worked for me was I added organic plain oatmeal in the mornings... And a grass fed whey protein shake. I have finally gained a few pounds and my energy level has improved. Not sure if your stomach could tolerate those, but I had to do something!

• Posted

I went to my thyroid doctor today, she was concern about my weight loss and lack of appetite also. I told her that my gyn doctor keeps giving me estrogen all the time. She suspects the estrogen therapy is not good for my thyroids. I suffer from hyperthyroidism for many years now. But my medication always kept me healthy.

Now menopause has hit, and they keep feeding me estrogen It is probably damaging my poor over worked thyroid to begin with. I think I will have to stop with the estrogen and see what happens. My thyroid doctor prescribe me some new medication. Hope it works.

• Posted

Yes definitely be worth a try. I'm glad your doc was concerned enough to do something. Keep me updated on what happens. Hugs

• Posted

Maria, I would suggest you talk to your doctor about it before going off the estrogen. The menopause affects of going off are going to be worse, as I explained the affects were 10 fold after stopping the pills.
    • Posted

Maybe, it will, but I have large cyst in left breast that hurts, and my thyroids are off balance. I am going to talk to my doctor. I think my doctor needs to prescribe some progesterone also. I cannot be constantly fed a diet of estrogen, without something to balance it out.

I strongly believe the estrogen by its self is fueling the cyst, and my thyroids.

• Posted

Strange that you got estrogen without progesterone. Definitely go back to your doctor or find a new one, and get some answers.
    • Posted

My doctor thinks estrogen taken with progesterone increases your risk of cancer. I thought it was strange also , but didn't bother to question him. I started doing my own research, and found a lot of articles stating that taking estrogen without balancing it with progesterone , and testosterone increase your chances a great deal to develope reproductive and breast cancer. Now that I have this large cyst in my breast, I am not taking anymore chances with it.

My doctors are all playing pass the buck. I think some of them are trained to think the same way.

• Posted

As I recall the increase comes only after you've been taking it for a long time. Most women here stay on it for only 3 years. Get a new gyne then. 

Maria do you drink coffee? If you do it could contribute to forming  a cyst in your breast. This is why I was told to stop drinking not only coffee but anything with caffeine in it. I, too was diagnosed with a cyst in my breast after I had an ultrasound at the start of my perimenopause.

• Posted

No I don't drink coffee at all. I don't drink juice, soda or soft drinks. I drink lots of water. I get my juice from eating whole fruits.

• Posted

No tea, very little chocolate , very dark chocolate once in awhile. It makes symptyoms flare up.
    • Posted

I was told no chocolate, of any type, because it has caffeine and is a hormone disruptor. Just 2oz's of dark chocolate has 79mg of caffeine! I use to eat dark chocolate like there was no tomorrow. Now I rarely crave it.

• Posted

Hi Maria - me too.

I am taking Livial (Tiberlone) HRT and have lost so much weight in the last 3 months or so.

Had all bloods and thyroid tested all good.

So; trying ISO WHEY in between meals - a probiotic - vit B - fish oil - banana's - porridge - nuts and generally eating more when I can stomach food.

Have no interest and no appetite and this is so not like me.

Lastly just visited a nutritionist who feels it is all hormone related and is looking into it for me.

Will keep everyone updated - there is much re gaining weight with meno but hardly anything on weight loss.

I am 54 and weigh around 58 kg now - I don't do thin wellsad 

Good luck everyone.

Loui x

• Posted

Hi Rhino,

I went to my endocrine doctor yesterday. She saw how much weight I have lost since the last time she saw me. She asked me how was I feeling, I told her not good. I have no appetite. When I eat I can only eat a handful of food at a time. I told her my stomach is so nervous.

She did some blood work on me, to check my thyroid levels, because I suffer from hyperthyroidism for many years. The medicine I take for it always worked good.

She prescribed some medication to calm my system down. She said once my system calmed down, I will be able to eat better. She was correct I took the medicine yesterday evening and this morning. I was able to eat more food today, than I could in the past couple of months. I am so happy today.

• Posted

It is amazing to discover that how you feel is dictated by how balanced your hormones are.

Menopause really causes havoc the body.

• Posted

I am in the same boat. I don't do thin well either. I have bouts of poor appetite which has led to weight loss with me too. I am big-boned so being too small makes me look sick especially in my face and neck area. My face looks so drawn in. I feel so self conscious when I'm around others because I feel like they are looking at me funny.

• Posted

I feel ya. I think anxiety has a lot to do with my appetite. And like someone else said, I EAT when I do have one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.