Dihydracodine - Everyone is different

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been on Dihydracodine on an off for 8 years. I severly hurt my back and have been using dihydracodine for the pain. After reading some of the other posts with their stories, i think it is only fair to acknowledge the reactions of other users. I only take it when the pain is extremely bad (8 tabs per day), how long is different every time, sometimes its only a few days, other times it can be 6 months. I have had no side effects and the tablets did their job. But is isn't a problem to stop and start. But like the other posts here i do know of people who are addicted to them and even buy them at £5 per strip. I didn't want a purely negative view attached to this drug which has helped me and never hindered me.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I completed agree with this message. I had the same experience, except for some mild side effects which were nothing really. I trust my docotor to give me what i need and seeing him on a regular basis allows him to see what effects whatever medication i'm on does to me. If you are worried, speak to a GP, pharmacist or contact NHS24.
  • Posted

I was Taking it for over 8 years, also for my back. and often reached 16+ per day, the doc was constantly giving me blood tests, then he found my liver started packing in, so i had to stop strait away. withdrawal was hell. Yes it works really well, it kept me working long after i should have gone onto incapacity benefit, only take as few as you really need! or you may endup with the ultimate pain relief (and that`s bad). every silver lining has a cloud.
  • Posted

[b:095dbb39e5] I am taking 2 dyhirocine every 4 half hours but only 3 times a day, so with maximum of 6 a day.

Is this wrong? It says on the box 6 hrs but when I phoned the pharmacy they said that 4 hours was ok.

I am worried that I am doing wrong. Is it 6 hours or 4 ?[/b:095dbb39e5]

• Posted

[b:4fd08e6e2c]Cherrybun[/b:4fd08e6e2c], 6 a day for a short period of time is perfectly OK, every 4, 6 or 8 hours it doesnt matter. If you are worried about developing dependency just take it when you need it rather than automatically smile
  • Posted

[b:8eb6ec4bf4] Thankyou for your reply. I take 2 every 4 hrs. I know I have become dependant on them but am going to try and not take as many now. Will I have with drawel symptoms ?[/b:8eb6ec4bf4]
  • Posted

[b:98d04c8f8a] And sometimes up to 8 per day I forgot to add.[/b:98d04c8f8a]
  • Posted

Yes you may suffer from withdrawal symptoms :? Try and reduce your dose by half a tablet or even a whole tablet when your condition allows. On the other hand dont suffer pain just because you fear addiction, if you are in pain take as much as you are prescribed its not like you dont need it smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.