Dihydrocodeine addiction.

Posted , 41 users are following.

One last thing I need to say and then I'm outta here. I'm reading a lot on here about dihydrocodeine addiction...it's as bad as heroin addiction. Drug addicts...etc etc. Well, here is the truth, absolute. If you take dihydrocodeine at a high therapeutic dose for say 3-4 weeks daily, then you are physically dependent on them. And you will continue to be physically dependent on them until you stop taking them. BUT YOU ARE NOT ADDICTED! Addiction is a chronic condition, framed in an obsessive compulsion to repeat the bahaviour, in this case drug taking, no matter what detrimental effects the behaviour may be having on your life. Addiction means you lie, steal, rob to take ever higher doses of a substance, progressing through the stages of harm with administration (ie. from snorting or smoking heroin to injecting it). Ultimately you spend ALL of your time looking for money or drugs to the exclusivity of everything else. Addiction is defined by a chronic, unstable lifestyle that is out of control. If you are going searching for more and more scripts, or money to buy DHC AND TAKING EVER GREATER DOSAGES then you are addicted to them. Otherwise, you are physically dependent. Nothing more and nothing less. Please, no more of these comments about how being on a DHC script is as bad as being a heroin addict. I was a heroin addict for 20 years and believe me, it is FAR worse than being dependent on a DHC script.

6 likes, 146 replies

146 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I have been taking DHC for years, I usually take 6 30mg every morning, sometimes 8, I don't take anymore throughout the day, I know to most people this seems such a low dose, but I'm scared, I want to stop, but I don't know how to be normal again sad I need to wake up without taking them being the 1st thing on my mind!! In the beginning it was amazing, I was on the ball, doing things, looking after myself, now I just sit around, I keep the house tidy etc..I WANT TO STOP, I have a Granddaughter now & this should make me more determined, I know my withdrawel won't be anywhere near as bad as some on here but I'm scared, I know I'm gonna feel rough, Ideally I would like to sleep for a week & wake up not needing them, I also need to put a stone & half on...Please someone help me, I'm NOT telling anyone as no one knows but surely I can get off them quick?? I need help PLEASE!!
    • Posted

Pleasewill someone help me, I'm scared, I have 2 left for tomorrow & my prescription of 4 a Day isn't for another 6 days, I can't face the withdrawel!! I do intend to tell my Dr I'm having a problem & want him to drop my dose, I deally by then I would which to be feeling well enough to say STOP don't give me anymore!! I hope?? I can't afford to be ill, I have a Granddaughter to look after sad I know what's coming as Years ago I came of 80-100mgs of oxycontin, it was ahellish week, but people are saying Dihyrdocodeine is harder to come off?? Please please can someone talk to me Thank you x
    • Posted

Hey there... I'm on day 7 without DHC. This drug has ruined my life for over ten years now. Just wanted to say, you can do this! Google the Thomas recipe if you don't already know about it, it helps a lot. Let me know if you want any help... Not that I'm very far in but I know I'm done for good this time. You can do it, you just need a plan, trust me. I was taking about 40 a day at one point!
    • Posted

you can do it. Four pills is not a huge amount but you will feel cr@p for a bit. Immodium is an amazing tool for withdrawal. It's an opoid that apparently does not cross the blood brain barrier. You don't want to take huge amounts like some addicts do when they are avoiding withdrawals (trust me it works but could be dangerous) but taking the daily limit or a bit above for a few days and then cutting down makes a huge difference to withdrawal and not just for the runs. I took four first thing in the morning of day 1 and then two a few hours later and a couple before bed. What a difference to past attempts. Tomorrow will be my first day without BC I don't want to become dependent on loperamide, it happens and is just as bad as opiates to come of if on large amounts for long periods.
    • Posted

You mentions Immodium (opoid?) will the generic Loperamide do the same thing, I would stick to the dose, don't need another dependcy lol..How do they work? What is BC? I am amazed at how well you have done, proud of you as you must be yourself smile xx

• Posted

Sorry, you didn't answer what BC is or am I just being daft?? x

• Posted

BC should bc (but my autocorrect does not like it) is lazy foe be because. :-)
    • Posted

and foe should be for obviously... It's too early lol
    • Posted

I decided to go cold turkey

I take 8 dhc every day for 9 months

day 1 quiting felt anxiety no sleep not one wink

day 2 creepy Crawley feeling in legs constant

hot and cold flushes through the day again no sleep pacing the floor

day 3 looking like a zombie without the sleep

hot and cold shivers creepy Crawley feelin g in legs and arms paced the floor

went to bed and slept all night work up with a pounding headache

day 4 creepy Crawley twice as bad very very anxious up tight could smash the house up

loss of a petite have the runs pai g up and down no sleep up all night again

day 5 could have ran 1000 miles very tensed up creepy Crawley feeling driving me Insane

could have taken 9 dhc at once at this stage

keep going tom I said to myself don t give in

again no sleep sat in the corner of room just moving back and forth

day 6 started to do some exercise for the creepy Crawley legs it helped a little bit

up until 4.ooam then fell asleep for 2 hrs only

then slept again for another 2 hrs creepy Crawley feeling subsiding a little

bought calcium and magnesium supplements feeling a bit better

but we will see if i sleep tonight creepy Crawley keeps coming and going

still not out of the woods just yet

tom

• Posted

How're you doing Nick? I am about to start this journey of being 'free'

• Posted

Wow, hey, I wall wasn't expecting any replies smile Thank you, thank you so much!!

I have been on them for years but last year, I again was on the oxy's, up to 150mg's every morning, I do think my saving grace is that I've only ever taken them in the morning, I found that's all I needed, seemed to last all day...My Daughter then asked me if I was back on tablets, I cried, I had waited so long for her to confront me again, I stopped but I was still having my prescription of Dihydro 56 30mg every 2 weeks plus a few strips off a friend once a Month, so she 'thought' I was clean...I do genuinely have a back broplem which is way I am prescribed them, but I DON'T WANT THEM IN MY LIFE ANYMORE!! I have a 17 Month old Granddaughter, why wasn't that enough, I split with my Fiance after 5 years 11 Months ago, I think maybe that's why?? I desperatlty need to get healthy as I'm having another Grandchild in November smile I HAVE to be sorted by then!!! My problem at the moment is D's, I've been taking 6-8 a day sad I'm out at the moment but only until 5pm ish, I am going to try soo hard to drop to 4 & please God will find the strength to speak to my Dr, the Dr who put me on them after my files say I had an addiction to them years ago!! In your experience, if I was to, say, take 4 4 4 3 3 3 2 2 2 1 1 1 & 1 everyday after would you say my withdrawel will still be bad?? I have to look after my Granddaughter!! I'm not concerned with the 'loo' side of this as luckily I'm rather empty at the moment lol & have med's to help! I just want to be able to cope, I WANT to do this as quick as possible!! I have mass protein drinks with many vitamins for the goodness my body will need, I will write more but I feel I've written too much already, sorry & thank you again so much x

• Posted

I googled the Thomas recipe, I don't know most of the ingrediants, but I am prescribed 5mg Diazapam twice daily
    • Posted

Hey again!

A fast taper will certainly soften the landing! I guess you need to work out what you plan to do when your script is due again. I say this BC there is no point starting this only to have them there as back up in a few days time. I honestly think you can do this for good if you are honest with yourself all the way. Dropping to 4 from a 6-8 a day problem should not be too bad at all. the worst of the physical withdrawals will be over after 4 days as you no doubt know so keep that in mind if things get a little rough. Tapers are good if you can stick to them, most of us can't. They also make for a more drawn out withdrawal... So many prefer to just jump but it's a personal thing. You have been taking pills for years so you are gonna feel withdrawal but you are lucky in that you are not on large amounts. Diazepam does help withdrawals but if you are already using it on a regular basis it might not make a huge difference to you. We also need to be careful of benzo's as you know. I've been through benzo's withdrawal and I'm telling you it makes an opiate withdrawal look like a walk in the park, that said it can be done. I'm happy to be a buddy and help you through this in any way I can... In honesty it will help me as I deal with the opiate malaise (the thing I find most difficult) part of my own withdrawal. Just again about loperamide, it helps withdrawal regardless of wether you have an empty stomach or not. So if you feel really bad at any point it's worth having some on hand! You can do this Sezyboo,mdont let the horrid pills take any more of your life, it's a slippery slope and you are not even at the bottom yet so get out now! Make a plan then stick to it, I'll be here by your side! Contact your doc as soon as you can and let him know the deal, it will be a relief to you.

• Posted

Thank you smile It's just such a relief to have someone to talk to!! I am hoping to have the courage to ask my Dr to drop my prescription a lot, I feel it's my time to finally say Goodbye to the these stupid little white pills!!

I don't understand how Loperamide helps? Please could you explain? I have been prescribed extra diazapam so hopefully that will help..After twice coming off Oxycontin I feel I should smash this..

I am so grateful to you smile I look forward to helping each other through this x

• Posted

It's great that you are in good spirits! Smash this you will! Re the loperamide, I've not got a scientific brain but know it's an opoid that binds to the receptors in the gut. It apparently does not cross the blood brain barrier but yet many opiate addicts are able to stop or greatly reduce withdrawal symtoms when large amounts are taken. I would not at all suggest using large amounts though. I know there has been so research regarding this and in animal testing it was more or less proven to work but as I understand it, human tests have not yet been carried out. It has has made a huge difference to this attempt, though I still felt under the weather. I also took buscopan and so far I have managed to get away with only very minor stomach cramps as well as 0 bathroom issues. Today will be my first day without loperamide BC as I said before, I don't want to become dependent on it.
    • Posted

Personally, unless you are doing a fast taper, I would not up the benzo's. Dependence happens so quickly. If you decide to get your head down and get the withdrawal out the way quickly then fine, a few more here or there would be fine. Otherwise, I think it's risky as tolerance builds quickly! Hope you don't think I'm being a know it all... Just trying to be honest and help!
    • Posted

I tool 3 20mg lopes after you mentioned them, I have also had a couple of diaz today, just waiting until 5 for my Dhc, I will only take 4, as I mentioned to someone else, I am giving thme to my 21yr old Son to give me daily & reduce!! I am so scared, I remember 2010 was a great year, stopped oxy's cold turkey on my birthday, Jan 2010, until June when I had to put my baby to sleep, no excuse, but losing my dog was so painful, I guess I've been on them since, apart from a 2014/15 it was oxy's again, got off them with Dhc... I feel I'm babbling & answering so many kind people I'm getting confused what I'm saying to who? So apologies to all...Thank you smile

• Posted

I'm getting even more confused bc now you have changed your name? Is that you Sezyboo?
    • Posted

I'm confused too... So is it that you start taking four a day as of tomorrow? If so, you should drop from 6-8 DHC pretty easily. You might feel a little off. I would not take the lope unless you have the runs if you are still taking  DHC. Don't wanna get banged up! ;-)  If you quit completely and are withdrawing then 6 to 8 at once on first day when you can feel it coming on does the wonders. Some swear by taking it at bed time, the night before withdrawal kicks in.
    • Posted

Hi Nick, hopefully I shall start dropping Wednesday once I've seen my Dr, oh if only I could have a drop of service daily smile How are you doing Nick? xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.