Dihydrocodeine addiction

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi 

I would like to ask if anyone can help me , I have been addicted to  painkillers of some sort for the past 16 years first it was co-codamol 30/500 which I took for about 5 years when I decided it was time I sorted myself out and got off them so I put an appointment on with my GP told him that I was just taking the medication for the sake of taking it every 4 hours whether I needed it for pain or not I was still taking it and that I was taking way over the reccommended 8 in 24 hours  and that I wanted to come off them , He somehow must have picked me up wrong he thought I was complaining that the co-codamol were not strong enough and prescribed me Tramadol Now right there I should have stopped him and corrected him but when I realised what he was doing that he was giving me stronger medication I didn't I just took the prescription to the chemist went home with my new tablets and gave them a try they turned out to be much much better than the co-codamol at giving me that lovely feeling, the one of having had a couple of drinks where you are happy drunk and I liked it !!  This was really the start of my problems Now I am addicted to co-codamol,Tramadol, pregabalin (lyrica) and dihydrocodeine because whenever my body got used to the medication I was taking and that warm fuzzy feeling was not as strong I added something else Now I take 12 co-codamol 30/500, 16-20 Tramadol 50mg , 8 pregabalin 50mg, and up to 20 dihydrocodeine 30mg every day and I know it cant be long till I end up overdosing and killing myself obviously my body has buit up a great amount of tolerance to these drugs but theres only so much your body can handle before everything goes wrong ! I know this and that is why I want to try and clean myself up a bit I have tried to cut down the amount I am taking before but the problem is I enjoy how they make me feel so I dont last long before I put them back up again , I heard of someone who got off dihydrocodeine by using a medication called modafinil this is a drug students use to keep awake it is actually a drug for people who have sleep disorders so I have bought myself some of these tablets but do not know what I am supposed to do , do I take these instead  of my usual cocktail of drugs ? or do I take them with my usual cocktail of drugs but slowly tapering my usual amount down till I am off them ? if anyone has any advice please feel free to give it as I am not to sure where to start 

Thank you 

3 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Tracy12474 go back to your doctor and explain what you really want to do,You killing yourself love and you must get some help.
  • Posted

Hi Tracy just wondering how you are honey. How you getting on. Xxx
    • Posted

Hi maria,

I am doing ok not great but ok will do for now taking the modanifil actually did help a bit but I dont think I took enough of them to cover the amount of other tablets as I was taking modanifil instead of dhc and pregabalin they made me feel awake and alert and held of any withdrawals for quite a few hours but I am not sure how many I can take off these I am going to up them from 100mg to 200mg and see if thats enough I will let you know what happens x

• Posted

Glad to hear you are alright. The modanfil seems to be doing you some good, from what you are saying it seems to be staving off the withdrawal symptoms and that can only be good. I hope this drug isn't addictive though otherwise you will be right back at square one. Anyway take care Tracy and let me know how you get on. Xxx
  • Posted

I am reading it and feel that for a first time.Iam not alone with this mess.Iam on codeine for last 2,5 years.Last year I overdose and end up in hospital.But this didn't stop me.Now I am on 16 Paramols and 16 Nurofen Plus a day.Today I went to Gp.She is trying to help and I am following instructions but I am so afraid....I so want to be free.I am desperate.

• Posted

Hi Tracy

I've only just discovered your heartbreaking thread, all I can say is that I wish you the very best in your battle with your addictions.  I was addiceted to 30/500 co-codamol but went cold turkey last November after having taken an overdose and ending up in a&e, it wasn't  pleasant but in the end I'm clean.  If you can be strong do the same, but if its too hard I understand too.

There isn't much I can add to what everyone else has said but I just wanted you to know I was thinking of you

Lizzie

• Posted

i would say rehab is your best option. Plus the amount of paracetamol your taking is great. GP needs to put you on just codeine 30mg. you can take NAC for paracetamol OD. Same as what they give you in hospital

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.