Dihydrocodeine Withdrawal

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am starting this new thread because I am having what i believe are different withdrawal symptoms to most everybody. 

I have been taking Dihydrocodeine for just over 6 years now, I started on a high dose and have taken varying amounts over these past years. I took them for pain relief from Cauda Equina Syndrome (and still do, although thankfully after 6 years it seems a little more managable with regular painkillers)

I am currently on 2 a day one morning, one late evening.

When I dont take them I experience what can only be described as a need to defecate, mixed with the feeling of being excited (the kind that kept you awake at night when you were a kid - remember that, fun right?) although there is NO fun in it whatsoever! It's like a 'tingling' low down in my groin, impossible to explain succinclty enough that you would understand what I'm talking about. My description is weak, but it's all I can offer.

My biggest problem with stopping them entirely is that this 'feeling' for want of a better word gets more and more intense the longer I go without them. 

The last time I tried to go cold turkey, I laid awake for 2 nights straight, without an ounce of sleep. My hope was that I would 'eventually' be so tired that my body and mind would just shut off. Unfortunately this did not happen and the intensity of the 'feeling' got so bad that I simply HAD to take a tablet just to get some rest. 45 minutes after taking it, I was asleep.

Add to all this the irritability, the restlessness, the not knowing where to put yourself, the rising 'feeling' there almost 24/7 all be it mild when i take my two tablets a day, and I can honestly say that this condition is driving me completely mad!  

Now, why post here? Firstly I want to know if anyone else has a similar feeling when trying to drop them.. Or HAD a similar feeling?

The reason i ask this question directly is I have no way of knowing if this IS withdrawal... It's entirely likely that Cauda Equina nerve damage has given me this condition and the dihydra's are masking it. 

honestly I think it's withdrawal but I cant find anyone else speaking of a similar feeling? 

And secondly, HOW DO I STOP!!??

I am down to 2 tablets a day, if I lessen the amount, the 'feeling' becomes so noticeable that I have to up the amount again. (please believe me when i say it's like torture - it's unbearable to the point of 'screw it i'm taking one!' - this is not 'addiction' I WANT to stop.. I am just unable!)

I am going to start with 3/4's of a tablet from tomorrow.. I will let you all know how I get on. 

In the meantime, please discuss.. Please tell me your own experiences ESPECIALLY if you know the 'feeling' i'm talking about. 

Thanks for time, and patience with my long-winded post. 

Art 

4 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there,

I was on DHC at 240mg daily for 5 years, I first got prescribed them post op but got them added to repeat prescription for sciatica(which rarely flares up) so basically I was addicted to that dosage, even cutting down gave me bad flu like symptoms plus very loose bowels and stomach cramps so I always ended up back to the higher dose, a friend recommended pregablin as he had been through similar codeine addiction but at a much higher dose, he gave me a box of 56 capsules, 150mg, and recommend I take one in the morning and one before bed and NO DHC and see how I got on, that was 3 months ago now and I haven't even thought about taking DHC since, when I was running low on the pregablin I went to my doctor and explained what I had done, of course I got a lecture about not taking someone else's meds etc but agreed to prescribe them as not only was my DHC addiction gone but my anxiety which I suffered badly from had also gone as was my insomnia! I can't thank my doctor enough for being so understanding as they simple capsules(still at only 150mg twice daily) have completely changed my life!!

I don't know if they work for everyone but anyone wanting to come off a DHC addiction so ask their GP on advice on pregablin.

Peace and love....

Robert.

• Posted

Wow,

I've read through all comments on this discussion and find them to be so similar to what I'm going through.

I hurt my lower back at work and I'm in so much pain that I cannot support my upper body without crutches, a walking stick, trolley etc..

So I have gone through a few different medications but I've mainly been taking 2400mg gabapentine, 1000mg naproxen, 180mg Dihydrocodeine, 20mg amitriptyline, 3000mg paracetamol.

Based on 3 times a day, breakfast lunch and dinner.

So ive come off the Dihydrocodeine myself with my doctors consent but the withdrawal symptoms were horrendous!

Night sweats, hot & cold extreme flushes, shivering, nausea, mood swings etc ..

So it's been a few weeks now and I've noticed the pain in my back and leg has become gradually worse, guess it's as the Dihydrocodeine cones out of my system.

I'm waiting on a doctors call today but what can I do?

I don't want to go back on the Dihydrocodeine as it makes me spaced and my memory is clouded.

Is there a better alternative?

Something strong but with less withdrawal symptoms ?

I'm just trying to get back to work but I really am on such pain, I've an mri scan tomorrow which I'm very anxious about.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I've been off work since mid August and seriously can't see me being able to return anytime soon, even though I want to.

I can't even walk for 5 minutes without struggling if if no support.

• Posted

Hiya Anthony

Firstly let me say well done for coming off dhc but it sounds to me like you are in more pain than before. Why don't you see what your scan says because judging by the medication you are already on there isn't anything stronger than dhc for pain unless you go down the morphine path which would make you feel very groggy and would be very difficult to come off. Your body is still getting used to being without dhc and I know that my own back and leg pain increased for a few weeks afterwards.

Naproxen is a decent painkiller and alongside your other medication should be helping you. I understand that you are anxious about the scan but this will hold the information as to why you are in such pain after the Dr's have seen it I'm sure you will be given the correct treatment hang on in there and soon you will have answers

Let me know how you get on I hope my words have helped even if only to say that you are not alone and people understand what you are going through

Best wishes

Elaine

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

MRI went well although I was struggling to control my muscle spasms as I was in there for 20minutes.

I spoke to the doctor as I'm in so much pain and I have been put on oxycodone 5mg, hasn't done much so I've doubled it tonight and I do feel an improvement though still some pain.

I have the immediate release which doesn't last long and I'm supposed to take it as I need, If I need it regular then I have to contact them to change it to the slow release which lasts longer.

They say they have no issues giving me morphine as it's just pain relief.

2-3 weeks till I hear anything from my MRI.

Surely it can't come back with no problems.

• Posted

Hiya Anthony

Well I think your scan will definitely show a problem as you aren't in that much pain for.nothing. oxycodone is a good painkiller and yes the slow release would be better for you as for morphine it's OK for the Dr to say it's just for pain relief but it's very addictive I personally wouldn't touch it.

When you have your results you need to have a proper chat with the consultant or your own Dr to work out what's the best way forward in your treatment depending upon if it's nerve damage or your actual spine that's the problem you could need to be put on different medication

Hopefully you will get answers and a proper diagnosis just hang on in there until your follow up appointment

Best wishes and let me know the outcome

Elaine

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

How are you getting on?

I've been taking the oxycodone (oxycontin) for a wee while now but I'm finding myself popping them like smarties due to the shear pain I'm in.

I can't believe I've put up with this since August and I'm still no better.

I've a doctors appointment today and I'm going to ask for the slow release and stronger too. This way I just take 3 or 4 a day and that's me.

I don't find these addictive at all but I know they can be abused! Mainly the withdrawal symptoms are better than DHC.

I'm wondering if anybody has any other problems since they've had lumbar pain? I hate to bring this up but I am definitely noticing things apart from the sciatica and twitches.

Tony

• Posted

Hiya Anthony

Well I'm doing better thanks and as for lumbar pain well yeah I have had two spinal surgeries on my lumbar spine that's why I have nerve damage due to the first surgery going wrong lumbar pain is very difficult to cope with so I understand what you are going through. Go on the Web and look up lumbar pain and causes to see if anything matches your symptoms. Spine. Com is a good one also back pain UK

Really hope you find out whats going on with your back then you will be able to cope better as knowledge is power

Best wishes

Elaine

• Posted

Same with the injuries Antony, Except I am glad of mine for I met my future wife due to this.... there is no opiate to date stronger and easier to come off, well, everyone is different, you might find something. I think people misunderstand when I say coming off DHC is easy.... it's not for someone on it for months, but say you were taking heroin, then a quick detox using DHC is usually pretty mild.... it's the taking of a drug for a while that causes the problems, I have known people use heroin to detox off Methadone.... yes strange but it worked for them. It's to do with the way different drugs act in differing ways on Opiod receptors, sometimes a doctor will rotate meds to avoid tolerance. So you decide to come off, pick something you are not already using, and reduce to nil quickly.... to the determined it's the best way. I really empathise with you being in the same situation.... but I will quote my surgeon...." Addiction comes second to quality of life, to live normally you will be on strong medication for life" ..... anyway take hope my friend. I wish you well.

• Posted

Addiction to opiates produces a rebound effect when you quit. So both your oringinal condition and the increased sensitivity will cause what you experience. I went from morphine to physeptone to oxycontin then  dihydrocodeine..... at this present I am trying to rotate with benzodiazepines but don't try it. I have tears of research and know what to expect. People often come with magic cures for opium addiction.. I suppose much of it will work in a physcosomatic way. But withdraw from opiates oh and yes.... sex drive returningquick, you withdraw quick, slow and you withdraw slow. My advice is cut down very slowly, you could try splitting your tablets. But over weeks. Dihydrocodeine. 5 mil a week. Diphenhydramine will potentate so alter dose to slightly lower and sleep should come. Benzodiazepines are not a good answer. Withdrawal can be worse. One question. Do you need pain relief. If so why stop, cut down certainly. Opiates are far less toxic than Tylenol (paracetamol) 

• Posted

I have been taking 120mg SR for over 20 years until last year I took two a day morning and evening. Until today I have taken 1 tab am but as have a few days off work have decided to make today my stop day. Last tab was yesterday 9am and up to now no withdrawal. What should I expect? Thanks
    • Posted

My advice to you is not to stop taking completely as you are setting yourself up to fail  you must find a substitute drug that you can alone and not feel too bad in your withdrawal symptoms, dihydrocodeine is the best known medication for doing this 
  • Posted

When you withdraw, all nerves in your body become more sensitive, this includes pain and also sexual urges, it goes away eventually, but I read this so many times, people with pain on opiates but want off them despite them being highly valued for pain relief. Ask one question to yourself, is a dependency where you are legally proscribed medication something to worry about when these very same medications are improving your quality of life. Stigma is attached due to abuse.... being in pain and taking pain relief that works best has no stigma. What makes it worse is those such as celebrities proscribed moderate opiates, becoming addicted usually by taking too many, then complaining about how they "weren't told about the addiction" and giving press stories on how these drugs are evil and shouldn't be proscribed. Well nearly everyone knows opiate based medication is addictive, and you are supposed to read the patient information leaflet, so all they do is bring the spotlight on prescribing practices making it more difficult for us with serious injuries and illnesses. I cut down from far stronger opiates myself, I did not need to, I just did, and anyone else who does so I commend. But I cannot tolerate someone who couldn't be bothered to read the information supplied with the medication, take them (and in the case of one celebrity at the minute) for something they were not even proscribed for, then cry like a big child, and blame the doctor. This is just not taking responsibility and blaming others. It's rather pathetic.... could he not read.

Anyway I hope your reaching your goals, others say pregablin work, not for me, Zopiclone or Zolpidem help you sleep. Unless it's methadone your physical symptoms will be gone in a week or less. There are many ways to come off opiates. I am just giving you simple examples.

• Posted

Hi I was researching how to come off  Dihydrocodeine and come across this and I need to ask, how did you manage to come off them? I started taking my mums almost 2 years ago just now and then to help with pain etc and I loved how they made me feel and now I’m buying them off the internet because I can’t come off them! I feel as if I can’t speak to doctors because I shouldn’t of been taking them in the first place. I feel so lost because I don’t know wtf to do! 
    • Posted

The best way forward is to slowly taper over weeks and months but because you've bought them from the Internet you don't really know if you've been buying what you think,( I'm  not trying to scare you ) I would advise you to go see your GP, you'll be surprised at how understanding  they are as this is more common than you think and hopefully be able to give you something safer to help you through the withdrawals. You've already made the first steps into changing your life so well done for that and don't be to hard on yourself, good luck 😊

• Posted

I’ve been buying them from UK meds and they are signed off by a doctor and it’s shocking how easy it is to buy them from the internet. It’s costing me £50 a month to buy which I can’t afford but I’ve tried going cold turkey and I felt awful so had to go back on them. I’ll try over the next few days to cut them down because I definitely can’t afford to keep doing what I’m doing. Thank you for replying 😊 

• Posted

How many are you taking a day?

Cut back slowly maybe 1 every 3-5 days and see how you go, please don't rush things you will only get bad withdrawals that really are uneccesary, don't do cold turkey it is really dangerous.

Keep hydrated, try and walk each day to tire yourself out, hot baths with magnesium salts and you can get a magnesium spray from holland and Barrett for your legs if you suffer with wrestles leg syndrome, just something that some people get when doing withdrawal. I did cold turkey and I suffered nearly a year, looking back now I wish I had done it properly I just thought the sooner the better but that was not the case and I was extremely unwell looking back, take care and let me know how you get on 😊

• Posted

Only 8 a day which doesn’t seem like much but I was only taking them because how they made me feel and they don’t make me feel like they used to anymore so I’m worried that I’ll start taking more to try get that feeling back. I’ve even been physically sick off them because I’ve taken loads in one day. I will let you know 😊 thank you xx

• Posted

You'll be so glad once you're off them but even tho you say it's only 8 still do it slowly you'll recover so much quicker than cold turkey, look up PAWS...post acute withdrawals symptoms,  I had them so bad for about 10 months and could have avoided them, I thought it was eve going to end 😊

• Posted

I just looked it up and OMG the withdrawals last that long?! 😫 I was hoping it would only be a few days or weeks at the most 🤦🏽??? I wish I never started taking them 😫

• Posted

NO NO NO, sorry I didn't mean to scare you I was trying to say because I did cold turkey I suffered horrendous PAWS, if you drop one dose every few days and let your body adjust you could prevent this, if you drop to quick and become ill go back up a dose for a few days then try again, everyone will react differently but given the amount you've been taking I'm hoping you will not suffer so bad, another lady on this forum  suffered a few weeks. I didn't tell you to scare you it was to make you aware of what could happen am doing to taper safely even if that means it taking longer than you expected😊

• Posted

The last time I tried I felt like crap! I had no energy or motivation to do anything and I experienced hot and cold flushes and I have a toddler to look after which makes it even harder. I’m gonna have to get off them if I like it or not by next year because I want another baby so that’s my motivation to get off them completely xx 
    • Posted

Unfortunately I don't think you'll escape withdrawals completely but do it slowly to keep them as manageable as possible, that's a good realistic goal as well, you can do this 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.