dihydrocodiene requirment

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have been taking dihydrocodiene for the last 10 years, although they control the pain, i have to take more than the recommended dose, if i don't take 2 tablets every 2 hours, i start getting withdrawal symptoms, is this normal.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

There seems to be a lot of concerns over wearing off of effect and side effects with dihydrocodiene on this forum. My advice if you are on dihydrocodeine is:

-always stick with the dose prescribed you by the doctor. If the maximum dose is exceeded you are likely to experience more adverse effects.

-If the normal recommended dose is not effective for pain control, it means it is either not potent enough opioid to control your pain, or your pain may benefit from other non-opioid medication.

-Discuss your pain and concerns with your doctor. If you don't tell them they wont know the drug is not working for you. There are often alternatives that will reduce the side effects you are having or offer better control.

-If you are taking opioid analgesia for genuine pain, in most cases addiction is not a concern. Though it is possible that the original pain has gone but still taking strong opioids over a long time due to lack of regular review with your doctor. Then you may need to reduce the dose over time. 

People as individuals will react differently to medicines. The main emphasis is communicate with your doctor. If your doctor is not very helpful, ask to see a different doctor at the same surgery.

• Posted

I would say that there is a chance that you have become too heavily reliant which has caused an addiction which in itself is a whole new ball game. As Belinda has said, a person should only take the dosage recommended by their GP, if this is not surfice then return to your GP to discuss the problem(s) and potential for other items. There are a lot of problems that can be caused by over dosing, not to mention the cost for the tablets alone. 
  • Posted

I have also been taking this medication for over 10yrs & it has crept up & up. I used to take 2 x 30mgs 2hrly, but then tried taking 4x30mgs 4hrly. This worked initially. Then I began supplementing with shop bought paracetamol & codeine products etc.. & asking for repeat prescriptions earlier & earlier. I have lost count of the times I have attempted to reduce/come off DF's, but end up taking double or more to combat the excrutiating pain that occurs. I am so depressed by it all . I even take an anti-depressant to "alter my perception" of the pain. I would gladly come off all together if the headaches weren't so agonising or a suitable alternative prescribed. I have also tried oxycontin with some success, however, it is still an opiate. The withdrawals you mention, are they irritability/pins & needles/dizziness/joint pains...i could go on? It is a viscious circle, unfortunetly. I am unable to offer you any advice, however, share your experience. Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.