Dihydrocodine addiction

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive been addicted to diydrocodine for 13 yesrs now and beleive me they av ruined my life i take 30 tablets a day . It took me years to admit I had a problem with th tablets my story is a long one and I finally understand y I take these tablets and thats my past its the only way I know of blocking my past out facing reality is one of my worst fears I now know I need professional help or im really wont be here much longer, ive got two amazing sons so really im being selfish but nothin seems 2 make me stop takin so many and that scares me . Ive lost alot of people that love and care for me cause they cud no longer c me killing myself :'(

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi Jenny78367

I have worked with many people in your position, you have taken the biggest step in recovery by admitting to yourself you have a problem.

PLease try your local Drug Intervention Service, the address will be at your GP surgery or local Library.

they are non-judgemental and are uised to dealing with prescription drug addiction.

Good luck,

G

• Posted

Hi Jenny I hope your are managing your pain and addition (I call it Dependance) problems since your last post. Unfortunately you fell in to the trap AS MANY DO of >tablets wearing off quickly > you feel terrible so take more to ease the pain and before you know it your on those crazy dosages and when THEY wear off it's ABSOLUTE HELL, and this is the big problem with DHC. GP's should make people more aware of the severe symptoms of coming off them and the horrible effects when they wear off. (For me its about 3-4 hours) Then I get the usual sweats, hot flushes, bad moods, tiredness, the runs and my whole body feels like I've been ran over by a truck.

They are an effective pain killer when taken properly (in the right dose) unfortunately when people are first put on them it does help their pain but also gives a feeling of euphoria which makes you feel nice, warm, comfortable and kind of spacey and this is where the addiction starts, and it's hard to resist taking higher doses. But you MUST resist and I will tell anybody this. Personally I have been on them for 14 years for lower back pain and sciatica so I have good experience with them. I have always taken 2x30mg 3-4 times a day but have found a long time ago the dose I am on is not having as much effect on the pain as it used to as my body has got very used to them. I NEVER go above 240-300mg a day HOWEVER TERRIBLE I feel because I know what happens when you run out and have to go begging to the doctor for more and feel like death, it is degrading and makes feel like a drug addict, it’s a horrible situation. The best way is to supplement them with other meds like Ibuprofen or Paracetamol (take them together) or even a little Amitriptyline at night to help you sleep and ease pain and NOT give in to increasing the dose of DHC.

I have also found above this dose it can make you feel very depressed and even suicidal and can really ruin your life. You become more withdrawn from friends and family and don’t want to do anything except lie on bed or on the sofa all day longing for your next dose of DHC.

Personally I don’t like the term addict, an addict takes them to get a buzz or feel high, most people who take these including myself for pain on a regular basis and in the correct dose take them because we need them and are now (DRUG DEPENDENT) on them but NOT addicts, there's a BIG difference. Getting off them is VERY hard and you SHOULD go back to your GP and ask for something else or a referral to a drug rehabilitation centre if you cant do it alone by tapering off the dose (very slowly) like about 30-60mg less per week. I hope you do this and this applies to anyone else who reads my post. I Know I am in for a really tuff time when I have to eventually come off these things and am NOT looking forward to it. If your GP offers you these tell them NO THANKS it will save you a lot more pain and suffering in the long run.

• Posted

hi jenny

least you have owned up to been dependant on these terrible drugs there is help out there ask your dr to give you a few days of these tablets i just hope they work for you as some one i no has tryed them and worked.

Modanifil by a company called provigil they are used to treat a number of health problems but also for dependency of drugs i do feel sorry for you please ask your dr to just try you on them

good luck

hope you keep posting.

christine

• Posted

Hi you are not alone and you have done the hard bit by admitting it to yourself , I hope by now you have got the right help and you have formed a plan to move forward with your life . I have been the same position taking high doses for 6 years but christmas just passed and i finally realised I had driven everyone away because of the nasty pills. I too have suffered a terrible past but the only way to bury it is confront it head on and your dr can help with referal to the right people to help unlock the passed in your head and let it go its hard but you have given two good reasons to get through it the greatest gift ever your two sons. wanna chat im here anytime , God bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.