Dihydrocoedine Constipation/Impaction, help, advice and reassurance needed urgently

Posted , 3 users are following.

Okay so, I broke my ankle (dislocation, and 2 clean broken bones) on 18th Feb, and waited in hospital until the 21st on nil by mouth with oral morphine every 4 hours until I got my operation (plate and screws) and went home the next day.

I was prescribed 30mg dihydrocoedine 4 times a day, with paracetamol and ibruprofen. I was given a big box of them and sent home.

My tummy wasn't right from being in the hospital with no food, the operation, general anesthetic yada yada. But righted itself in my opinion after a few days, but pebbly. I knew I wasn't moving/eating as usual and was on painkillers so I didn't think anything of it. It wasn't causing me any discomfort (possibly because of the painkillers?!)

So fast forward 4 weeks to Saturday 18th March. I got up in the morning, went to the toilet as usual (pebbly) and carried on with my day.. as in went from my bed to the sofa and continued to elevate my ankle. (I like to go downstairs so I have to go up and down the stairs a few times each day to get a little exercise).

Saturday night, I went to the toilet before going to bed and felt desperate. But I couldn't go, and there was either one or several very hard and large stools lodged in my anus/rectum and I could not push them out, I was very hot and very faint. I tried for 2 hours before calling nhs 111. They wanted me to go to an out of hours doctor but I wasn't sure I could stand to sit in a car so I asked for my mum to collect laxatives and suppositories for me, this was 1am. I tried both and had no relief. In tears I phoned the next morning and went to see a doctor, now able to travel as I had digitally disimpacted myself very slightly.

The doctor found my plight amusing. Examined my stomach (didn't say anything) and arranged for a nurse to give me an enema later on in the day.

The nurse gave 2 lots of enema, and half a hard stool was pulled out. I was able to sleep that night but I was uncomfortable.

I had continued to take the laxido (3 on Sunday) and I managed to pass more of the hard stools on Monday, took 2 sachets Monday and passed more stools on Tuesday. My stools were loose so I only took 2 sachets on Tuesday. By wed it felt like the hard horrible possibly impacted stools had passed but I felt so backed up and uncomfortable. I took 2 sachets again, and still had loose stools. Thursday was the same, keeping having to go to the toilet to pass mushy/loose stools several times.

Friday I was fed up. So I took 4 laxido all at once. This lead to watery stools frequently throughout the day, but feeling like there was something solid in my sigmoid colon that would come, but it's like my bowels have forgotten to push.

I haven't taken anything since and the watery/loose stools are still loose but are getting more "body" to them very very slightly.

I don't feel quite as full/bloated. But I feel like I haven't emptied my bowel, in particular that solid stool in my sigmoid colon (guessing here!).

I'm going to take 2 senokot tablets tonight as the reviews online look like what I am hoping for.

Any similar stories? Does this ever end? Does it sound like I still have a "blockage" because of the loose stools or do you think that's from the laxido?

I stopped all pain relief last Saturday. Will never ever take anything again. Have only been eating fruit, vegetables, porridge, dried fruit. Prune juice, Apple juice.

Any advice or reassurance would be lovely. Feeling very anxious that I've done serious damage with the dihydrocoedine and that I'll be ill for weeks and weeks sad

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You will be fine, take the laxatives if you have to,  I am like you but worse if I just take one Tylenol I get constipated for 3 days, and have to take 4 laxatives to go.  You can change your diet like I did, eat avocados, coconut oil and almonds.  Drink plenty of water also helps.  There is also something you may be able to get behind the counter at the pharmacy it's called lactulos Wikipedia it its very sweet but works.  Good luck Hun.

• Posted

Hi, I suggest you a very natural treatment- Detox Green plum. 

As we need have a shower everyday, our intestine also need clean.

The detox plum is 4 month fermented plum mixed with 5 chinese traditional herbs.

It help so many people who suffered constipation, diabetes and so on in China after detox. Most problem comes from our unclean intestine, toxin accumulated and have to be absorbed into body again and make blood not clean, then hurt liver as well....

Please contact me 07590296085, i can help you, even with chinese traditional doctor..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.