Dilated common bile duct

Posted , 2 users are following.

First sorry for my english : I’m French.

I’ve had pain under right ribs since March. (!)

Then stomach pain when eating. . Bloating, even worse in the evening. Fragmented stool, yellowish brown colored. No appetite. No weight loss (I eat because I’m afraid of weighting loss).

And I have also now pain at the right of my belly button.

I had : ultrasound and bloodwork in April. Normal.

CT scan in June : normal except a slight dilatation in distal common bile duct (7 mm).

MRCP in June : Slight dilatation in common bile duct and a rather abrupt termination of the distal common bile duct (which is a sign of malignancy as for Doc Google)

EUS in June : all normal. CBD 2,1 mm. Pancreas and gallblader perfect.

My GI said everything is OK. Don’t worry. He took the MRCP report to be interpreted by another radiologist who said, in his opinion, there was no abrupt termination but it was rather the anatomy of my sphincter of Oddi. And he is not worried about the bile duct dilatation.

He said I was too much anxious,

My mum died from either pancreatic or biliary cancer. I know she had whipple, and died 9 years later.

So yes I'm at my wit ends.

Bloodwork still OK two days ago, LFT included.

in May I had bloodwork with CEA and CA19.9 cancer markers. All OK.

I had another EUS yesterday with another GI. He understood my woriness and said he would be particularly cautious at inspecting the distal common bile duct.

Report says : pancreas, gallbladder, liver OK. Common bile duct visible all along with no apparent obstacle, either stone or tumor.

Intrapancreatic common bile duct is 2 mm.

Suprapancreatic common bile duct is dilated at 8 mm.

Common bile duct at his maximum (I think at the highest ?) is 4 mm.

These observations stay within normal ranges.

He then said to me : don’t worry. I looked everywhere and saw nothing bad or worrying.

He said : we will make EUS yearly because of your mother history.

Well, I don’t know if I’ll still be there next year ... My symptoms are making me mad.

And how can my common bile duct be dilated without an explanation ?

It’s like you imagine a pipe being 4 then 8 then 2 mm ??

I’ m at a lost...

I know EUS is a very reliable exam and I try to convince me that if there was something it should have been seen.

I know the GI spent a long time yesterday for the EUS.

BUT there are my symptoms, and this damned unexplainded dilatation. (it was not there in November when I had a CT Scan)

Does anybody has had unexplained dilated common bile duct ? With my symptoms ?

Thanks for your answers.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hey Britt. you still with us? I know this was 2 years ago but I have all the same symptoms. I've had pancreatitis off and on for about 5 years and I'm pretty sure it's become chronic.

did you ever find out why you bile duct was dialated? I ask the same question "how is it dialated for no reason?"

as far as I can tell most doctors are too busy to care or too stupid to matter. I hope youre well. I have an EUS april 5. hoping it's not cancer and just chronic pancreatitis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.